Putting 'coil forward' and 'tip and rip' together ...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I believe in coiling the hips. I believe in tip and rip.

I'm finding that coiling the hips often leads to a hitter turning in the front shoulder during the load (or during the inward coil of the hips). I might call hip coil (and the shoulders going along) a horizontal move, or a 'merry-go-round' move.

Tip and rip (and rock the U) is a vertical move of the shoulders, making the back shoulder higher than the lead shoulder during the load, and the resulting swing to have a more vertical than horizontal plane.

Now, if I limit the turning in of the front shoulder during the load, it seems harder to coil forward. If I allow the shoulder to turn in, it seems harder to tip and rip, or at least harder to avoid a 'merry go round' vs. 'ferris wheel.' If shoulders turn in horizontally, they're more likely to swing out horizontally like the hips, which is not ideal.

What do you think?

Is it desirable to teach a player to coil hips in without the lead shoulder going along for the ride, or am I making much ado about nothing?

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2012
Give this a spin and see what you think...

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-hitting-technical/21706-hip-coil-2.html#post288424

In particular when you bring it all together here:
For extra fun after you have done C) a few times try to have the hip action described while keeping your belly button pointed at the wall in front of you. (i.e. as your hips "close" while moving forward, don't let your belly button turn back) . I say this assuming that as your were trying it before, as your hips "closed" your torso above also closed and belly button and shoulders pointed rearward as well. So try it again with the intent to keep your belly button from turning back. Note what that does to your shoulder line as you move forward. You should get some lowering of the front shoulder while keeping the shoulders in line with the pitcher.

Good Luck!

Dec 28, 2014
Give this a spin and see what you think...

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-hitting-technical/21706-hip-coil-2.html#post288424

In particular when you bring it all together here:
For extra fun after you have done C) a few times try to have the hip action described while keeping your belly button pointed at the wall in front of you. (i.e. as your hips "close" while moving forward, don't let your belly button turn back) . I say this assuming that as your were trying it before, as your hips "closed" your torso above also closed and belly button and shoulders pointed rearward as well. So try it again with the intent to keep your belly button from turning back. Note what that does to your shoulder line as you move forward. You should get some lowering of the front shoulder while keeping the shoulders in line with the pitcher.

Good Luck!

anyone have this on video? Not sure I understand the first part of C in the link.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mizenikki1