Punch change up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 13, 2012
Hillhouse comes to Arkansas every month and has many girls driving from Tenn, Texas to do lessons with him. My DD has been seeing him for 4 months.

Mar 28, 2013
Worked with Doug last year and he has developed a program to work with your DD online thru a series of video /critique exchanges.not sure what the costs are associated with it but he is a wealth of good info.

Mar 28, 2013
11u dd throws the shove or punch change. She isn't a flame thrower so this is her swing and miss pitch. She throws it 8-10 mph slower than her fastball. It was much easier for her to pick up than the flip which she still works on but can't quite ever get a consistent release point on.

Sep 11, 2009
Yes I was in fact and thats whose dad i was referring to. I was there with my daughter and he was VERY nice to share their story with us. My daughter is 10 and pitches and she is still talking about the opportunity to talk to him. It still amazes me that he was her pitching coach up till signing with MU. I very much appreciate the info from you on his reference to the punch change and him taking the time to visit with a total stranger and a daughter who loves the game.

Ok on another note, there is another gentleman who I won't list by name , who has said that we need to get my daughter to Doug. I somewhat know Doug's story, but how do you get a lesson with him. His facility is in MI.....I'm in MO, of course. She is scheduled to go to the MU camp ....both pitching session and regular camp and I'm assuming he will be there...just curious how one goes about getting one of the best pitching coaches in the country to give some pointers to your kiddo. How did you do it? Are you doing the video lesson deal that he offers.

I'd appreciate any info that you could offer on the doug gillis opportunity.

Over the past 4 years Gillis has done monthly 'clinics' at Mizzou during the Fall and Winter (October - March). We started attending the sessions the first year and at that time he would only take about 6 - 8 students for each 3 hour session. Now, the clinics are well advertised and he'll have 75-100 kids there. The clinics are still very worthwhile. Check out the Mizzou softball website for dates and sign up info. Gina Schneider (former player) is the Mizzou director of operations and coordinates the clinics. The personal instruction that my DD got in the early sessions were so 'educational'. We now use his online lessons where we send him video clips for analysis, etc.

I'm also from MO (St. Louis area). Luckily, for us my DD's local pitching instructor teaches many of the same 'things' as Gillis so the combination has been very effective for her.

Mar 31, 2013
Thanks coach Kirk...much appreciated. We take weekly pitching lessons now so I'm just struggling with the whole over the web thing. I think I may see who things go after her pitching clinic at MU in June. I will keep exploring this for more details. Pitching coaches in the Columbia area are not real easy to find so I hate to lose what I have by trying to find greener pastures. I know there are things she needs to fix...ie leaning....getting better but still an issue.

I very much appreciate your input on Doug and the punch change. I have some video clips of her pitching. I may try to figure out ow to get them on here. This is,like my 4th post so not sure I am savvy enough to upload a you tube link.

Sep 11, 2009
Thanks coach Kirk...much appreciated. We take weekly pitching lessons now so I'm just struggling with the whole over the web thing. I think I may see who things go after her pitching clinic at MU in June. I will keep exploring this for more details. Pitching coaches in the Columbia area are not real easy to find so I hate to lose what I have by trying to find greener pastures. I know there are things she needs to fix...ie leaning....getting better but still an issue.

I very much appreciate your input on Doug and the punch change. I have some video clips of her pitching. I may try to figure out ow to get them on here. This is,like my 4th post so not sure I am savvy enough to upload a you tube link.

I'm not sure anymore but a former student of Doug's from Michigan who transferred to Mizzou and graduated in 2009 used to do lessons in Columbia. Her name is Stacy Delaney. I think her last name may have changed after getting married. You may want to look her up. Gillis still uses video footage of her in his clinics. Also, a former Mizzou player (Ashley Flemming, 2012) is coaching 18u ball this summer for a team based out of Columbia called the Missouri Stealth. Flemming's younger sister is on that team and will be at Mizzou in the Fall. She may be doing lessons and should be easy to track down if you ask around. Good luck with everything!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd