Punch change up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 31, 2013
Hello...this is my first post and glad to be here. Been stalking for awhile. I was at at D1game last night and I met and was talking to the pitchers dad. Not ever meeting him before I was somewhat hesitant to ask to many questions of him, but he made mention that his daughter threw a punch change up. He said he very seldom has seen the flip change thrown effectively repeatedly. His reference to the punch change was toward the end of the game and our conversation so I wasn't able to get the full details. Does anyone know how it's thrown?

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Never heard of a "punch change". But I wonder if he meant a "punch out pitch"? Was she using it as a closing pitch to retire the batter?

We use to call your best closing pitch, a "punch out". Because of the punching motion of the blue on the 3rd strike, especially if the batter went down looking.

Long story short, I wonder if her CU was her "punch"?

Mar 31, 2013
No....it was specific to her change up. Maybe if I have the opportunity to meet him again ill ask for more details and report back.

Nov 27, 2012
Is it the one where you put the ball deep in your palm and sort of push the ball out? Just wondering.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Phandle, That is a shove change, but I guess she can call her change up anything that she wants. As long as it works, a change up is a change up.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
What the OP seems to be describing could be one of two, it would depend on the wind up used, if a wind up was used.

The palm ball drop is one and it is utilized (or at least percived as) a slower change up. It is actually classified as a dropball and has a unique variation to the windmill arm circle, it has a wind up all to itself. and a TON of downspin.

The other is called the "Back Pocket Push". Dont recommend this one for 12u's and younger. Very few in that age group have the 'Umph' to propel the ball all the way to the catcher, there are exceptions of course but kinda few and far between. That pitch requires a little different mechanics.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
Didnt somebody have a thread about a cats paw change up. Thats what camr to my mind for some reason? There was video of it

Sep 11, 2009
Hello...this is my first post and glad to be here. Been stalking for awhile. I was at at D1game last night and I met and was talking to the pitchers dad. Not ever meeting him before I was somewhat hesitant to ask to many questions of him, but he made mention that his daughter threw a punch change up. He said he very seldom has seen the flip change thrown effectively repeatedly. His reference to the punch change was toward the end of the game and our conversation so I wasn't able to get the full details. Does anyone know how it's thrown?

Were you at a Mizzou game? I know that Doug Gillis uses the 'punch' analogy to describe how he teaches his change up. My DD has taken lessons from Doug. It's a variation of the 'shove' change up. You press the ball back into your palm and place the thumb next to the index finger. To limit the wrist snap you 'puch' the ball out of your palm and generate a drop ball spin. This is the change up that Chelsea Thomas uses (as well as all of the Mizzou pitchers). Chelsea has told me that rather than thinking about 'punching' the pitch she thinks of shoving her hand into a hoodie pocket if she was wearing one. Anyway, the advantages of this change up are:

1) It's difficult for a batter to pick up as a change up since it looks like a peel drop. Gillis wants lots of spin on the pitch. He says that most batters have a hard time picking up the change in speed if they see lots of spin.
2) Since the idea of the change up is to disrupt the batters timing (get the batter to shift her weight over her front leg) the drop ball spin of this change up has the advantage of dropping as the batter swings over the top of the pitch. Contrast this to the flip change which has a rise ball spin and tends to hang in the air.

Mar 31, 2013
Yes I was in fact and thats whose dad i was referring to. I was there with my daughter and he was VERY nice to share their story with us. My daughter is 10 and pitches and she is still talking about the opportunity to talk to him. It still amazes me that he was her pitching coach up till signing with MU. I very much appreciate the info from you on his reference to the punch change and him taking the time to visit with a total stranger and a daughter who loves the game.

Ok on another note, there is another gentleman who I won't list by name , who has said that we need to get my daughter to Doug. I somewhat know Doug's story, but how do you get a lesson with him. His facility is in MI.....I'm in MO, of course. She is scheduled to go to the MU camp ....both pitching session and regular camp and I'm assuming he will be there...just curious how one goes about getting one of the best pitching coaches in the country to give some pointers to your kiddo. How did you do it? Are you doing the video lesson deal that he offers.

I'd appreciate any info that you could offer on the doug gillis opportunity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG