Proper 2-Man Mechanics/Responsibility Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
ASA - 14u - 2 umpires

R1 on 1st, so BU (me) is behind F4. On the pitch, right-handed B2 squares around to bunt, but the pitch is very far inside, going to be inside the batter's box and most likely a HBP. B2's only reaction is a defensive reflex to put bat between her and the ball and manages to turn the bat a full 180 degrees so that the barrel is now pointing to her left and the knob is pointing towards the plate, and her arms are crossed in front of her (right arm over left). Despiite this awkward stance, she manages to execute a bunt and the ball bounces directly in front of her and just outside of the batter's box. She begins to exit the batter's box when she realizes what she managed to pull off, and throws the bat down to her right and in the same area as the bouncing, bunted ball. F2 by this point is up out of her crouch and blocking the PU's view of the ball. I observe the thrown bat bounce off the ground, come up and hit the still bouncing ball in mid-air. I immediately call dead ball, batter out, R1 back to 1B. Is this my call to make as the BU, or did I step on my partner's toes? He admitted he didn't see it because his view was blocked and thus would not have made a call and let the play continue.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
You (BU) can make this call.

Just be 100% sure that you saw what happened, pause and give your partner a chance to make the call, then come in strong and loud leaving no doubt what you have.

Not 100% sure but the end result should be the same if you don't call it immediately, you would conference with the PU and come to the same conclusion. I guess the PU could always overrule and say it's my call and I did not see it so everyone is safe so by calling out ahead of time you preclude the play continuing.

I have seen this numerous times with hit or bunted balls that hit off a batters foot or leg and the BU calls out dead ball/foul ball, I guess this is a little different but the concept sounds the same.

Enough of an old ump who only umped 3 years, 15 years ago and I am sure an expert will chime in soon.

Jun 22, 2008
As Ajay said, give your partner a second to see if he makes the call, if not and you are 100% sure of what you saw, call it.

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
Okay, thanks for your input, everyone. I had no choice but to pause as I was surprised by what had happened and I had to wrap my head around what I had just seen (as far as the batter turning the bat around the way she did). When I saw the bat hit the ball the 2nd time, I looked up to my partner and couldn't see his face as he was stuck behind the catcher, so I knew he didn't see what I had. I was still processing what I had seen and the play continued on for a beat or two before I called dead ball. The batter-runner had reached 1st safely and the OC was not happy with the call, he thought it should be a foul ball, but I remember this being a point of emphasis in one of the clinics I attended and it was an easy call to make.

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
Were you also 100% sure that the ball was fair when the bat-on-ball contact occurred?

Definitely. The batter was up in the box, both bat and ball were just in front of the inside corner of the batter's box closest to the pitcher and in front of the plate. The ball was bouncing about belt-level high and was moving slightly from the 3B side to the 1B side with very little forward (to the pitcher) movement.

Jan 24, 2011
Texas
As Ajay said, give your partner a second to see if he makes the call, if not and you are 100% sure of what you saw, call it.

Years ago, this was some of the best advice I was given regarding this and other plays right there around the plate involving dead balls, etc. Taking that extra second to allow your partner behind the plate to determine if they saw anything is always prudent. Two reasons, confirms what you saw and it's just better for them to make the call if they observe it as they are right there. However, I have made this type of call in the past also as BU, because I also have been blocked from actions as PU, so I for one can understand when it happens.