Problems with the change-up!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 10, 2013
DD's first c/u was to simply throw it as a fastball but instead of finishing HE, the arm would just stop at around the 5 o'clock position, palm open. man little did i know that was very bad for the shoulders - going to a sudden stop. but that was a year ago and now DD throws a flip change.
started with flipping her wrist but couldn't get it to work consistently. PC now told her to do something different. same "flip change" but no longer flipping the wrist. instead DD would just let the ball roll off her fingers with a backward spin.
still a work in progress.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Just like most pitches, if you master it, it can be REALLY effective. If you are only kinda good at it - it is going to get smacked. You have to have a lot of confidence to throw a change to great hitters even knowing it is effective.

This girl has one of the best flip-changes you may ever see - she is now a freshman in college. I have seen it get a lot of very, very good hitters out - and in general ones who have been facing her for years. She sets it up with an outside drop. Nasty pitch.

[video=youtube_share;6zbHBG04pmc]http://youtu.be/6zbHBG04pmc[/video]

(about 26 sec in )

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Ony allowed one video per post so separated this into two.

The change probably doesn't look like much in a skills video, but on game day it does this regularly - check the batter at the 1:00 mark (the batter is very good not that this is the best look at her of course):

[video=youtube_share;X_Y_hYJTCYY]http://youtu.be/X_Y_hYJTCYY[/video]

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
The flip change is supposed to have backspin, at least that is what other pitching coaches around here are telling their students. When I mentioned Taryn Mowatt's changeup my point was that even though it was called a flip change it did not have backspin.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
Boardmember describes a horseshoe change on another thread. I hope he comes on here to describe it because I can't get a picture of the release in my head. Maybe he'll be so kind and break out the video camera for Christmas.

Gbucz

WNY native now in Charlotte, NC
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Just thought I wouldchimein on this. My DD has tried all types. Least controllable was flip. Horseshoe might just be a grip where the thumb and fore finger make a circle on the 'horseshoe' portion of the laces.

DD holds her like that, while digging the middle finger into the lace next to the index finger and the ball as far into the palm as possible. She has to throw it just as hard as a fastball just to get it to the catcher. All her mechanics are the same and the raised knuckle makes a pitch picker think it is a rise ball. All contribute to the fooling nature of the pitch.

As my DD said to one of her 12U students "Changeups are the one pitch you get to be creative with so try lots of different things and use what works for you."

Feb 16, 2012
My DD throws a flip change and at second year 14U it is very effective. The key to the pitch was mentioned earlier. It has a low release and the weight is forward. It is not easily detectable and if thrown correctly it is hard to hold up on and if you do get a piece of it it's not going far. It is hard to master but it is effective. At her release she adds a little pinky flip which changes the spin from true back spin to add just a little bit of down and away movement to a righty. It has to stay low, flat and away to be effective.

Jan 24, 2009
I agree with Rick. Armwhip nailed this one on the head in post #3. The flip change is 'un-hittable' about 99% of the time lol.

Jan 25, 2011
I agree with Rick. Armwhip nailed this one on the head in post #3. The flip change is 'un-hittable' about 99% of the time lol.
No change up is UN-hittable. Im sure there is more then one way to skin a cat. I like the flip CU myself, not big of a fan of the horse shoe, the shove or knuckle myself. I guess it all depends on who the PC is. Lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207