preferred stance width

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
FFS, I've been putting my cursor on the back hip and then trying to watch back hip action. If you make more of these measurements, would you place a dot or line at that area? My cursor blocks some of the actions on a couple of players. Thanks for the work.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
RHC ... while we can't post video clips of Bustos here, I've done a similar analysis of her swing as well.

In Busto's stance her Width/Height ratio is 34%. At launch her Width/Height ratio is 72% ... which is close to the norm for MLB hitters.

I will be sure at the next SEC coach's clinic to tell them you don't think it works that way.
2gt8d1w.gif

1587fde.gif

55ot1z.gif

1jsxld.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I will be sure at the next SEC coach's clinic to tell them you don't think it works that way.

Not much to argue about. The post you replied to was a statement of fact ... Bustos falls within the MLB norm for the width/height ratio in her launch position. You can discuss that with the SEC coaches if you'd like ... but the numbers are what they are.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
"Part of the issue of getting the swing right is getting the stance right and many more experts are saying that female golfers need to widen their stance. Analysis of the top female golfers indicates that they have a wider stance, making them feel more comfortable and able to have a smoother swing when connecting with the ball. A large reason for this working well is the fact that the majority of women have wider hips than their male counterparts, which allows for a greater degree of flexibility. The wider stance will also aid with balance and can allow more weight to be put behind the swing."

Golf Stance for Women - Why Women Golfers Need a Wider Stance

Women In Golf

A Wider Stance for Women Golfers | Perfect Golf Swing

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
"Part of the issue of getting the swing right is getting the stance right and many more experts are saying that female golfers need to widen their stance. Analysis of the top female golfers indicates that they have a wider stance, making them feel more comfortable and able to have a smoother swing when connecting with the ball. A large reason for this working well is the fact that the majority of women have wider hips than their male counterparts, which allows for a greater degree of flexibility. The wider stance will also aid with balance and can allow more weight to be put behind the swing."

I see what both of you gentlemen are saying... I want to ask about a 10u'er. I have been convinced that their is no gender difference. Not because I read it, but I have witnessed it. Sissy can still take it to the boys, at this stage. I have her hitting at a place that is the batting facility for a boys TB league...So I'm not delusional. I have delayed working on a swing, anticipating the growth, both ways. I focused on bunting. Now she loves it! Doesn't weight have alot to do with the overall power. Is their any ratio of width of stance, that weight can be plugged into?

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Exactly PC. Dobson, HC at LSU said they hear it all the time. A girl has a good swing, then they get to their mid-late teens and something changes. Their hips have gotten wider, pelvis tilts, changes for child birthing.
My team and the few others I work with go wide. I don't think at early teens it is necessary for them, but once they have built the habit, they all say it is more comfortable for them.

Seen reports back from several college camps that it is not just a SEC thing.

I think, to tie into your weight idea, some girls have wider shoulders and narrower waist.
2yyo76a.gif

vhf8y1.gif

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Exactly PC. Dobson, HC at LSU said they hear it all the time. A girl has a good swing, then they get to their mid-late teens and something changes. Their hips have gotten wider, pelvis tilts, changes for child birthing.
My team and the few others I work with go wide. I don't think at early teens it is necessary for them, but once they have built the habit, they all say it is more comfortable for them.
Seen reports back from several college camps that it is not just a SEC thing.
I think, to tie into your weight idea, some girls have wider shoulders and narrower waist.

Exactly RHC.... I wondered why JM wasn't in the first .gifs...

Also Coach... I know we can talk.... " build the habit" I have probably already done everything you can do "Exactly Wrong" I have payed big time for most of my mistakes.... very cautious about starting anything.... the delay and sticking with bunting has really payed off. DD is going to be body type you mentioned. Since DD has the luxury of not having any team coaches who is going to ever get close to the 10,000 reps required, like I will, when I get the blue print ready... I don't get bent out of shape about the mistakes they have made...Actually I can blame some of mine on them :{))

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Bustos: Shoulder width times 1 1/2 plus two inches from my notes if you are talking stride at toe touch. If my notes are correct that would put her at 36 inches. Her feet are slightly wider than her shoulders at set up . Her front foot is slightly back roughly two inches. This is to give her a good two eye look at the ball.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sterp