Postion..which one..

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 29, 2013
My daughter has been a pitcher for 6 years. Rec, tournament, middle school, and HS. This season we just completed, her soph year, she pitched two games. I am not saying she is the best on the team but I feel, and other parents I spoke with felt she should have had more mound time. I hate to complain, she did play every inning of every game (3rd base).

She has been 'groomed' to be a pitcher, by the Coaches..and after winter workouts, it looked like she would be in the starting rotation. Lo and behold, they asked her to try SS..didnt work out so well, then they tried her at 3rd, that seemed to be a better place for her.

I just dont want her to miss out on opportunities as a pitcher...

He Tourney Coach said he would like her to play 3rd for him also..kind of following the footsteps of the HS Coach...

Any insights???

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
The HS schedule allows a team to ride their #1 pitcher a lot more than a TB schedule - multiple games a day in a weekend long tournament. As long as her TB coaches are giving her circle time, I would not worry to much about where she plays in school ball. Let her play another position and have fun.

My DD's HS team will have 6 girls next season who pitch for their TB teams, and there is only so much circle time to go around, so 3 or 4 of them will have to play another position if they want to see the field. That is why I my DD still does batting lessons every week! LOL

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
The situation you are describing is also a good example why pitchers should not become "pitch and sit" players unless absolutely necessary. You never know when being able to play another position, or being about to swing a bat, will help get her some playing time!

Jul 17, 2008
Southern California
Yes. But you won't like it. She is not the best pitcher for either team right now and she would help her team better at third base.
As a coach, I want the best pitcher in the game. It's nothing against your daughter but obviously if she was the best she would be there.
Being "groomed" to be a pitcher doesn't always work out that way.

Watching the women's college regional's I got to see a ton of kids who my DD played travel ball with and against. A couple of examples of girls that were groomed to pitch.
The sophomore centerfielder for South Carolina Kristen Struett...was a former travel and high school pitcher. The freshman firstbaseman for Georgia...Kaylee Puailoa.. former travel pitcher. These girls were both very competitive pitchers in their younger years.

Hopefully she loves the sport enough to become the best third baseman she can be.

Jan 29, 2013
Thanks Coachmom..she does love the game..she did put 110 percent into her new postion..I just want the best for her..as all of us parents do..

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Sounds like decision time for your DD. Does she still want to be a P? If so find a travel team where she will be #1 and have her work to be #1 on HS next year. Otherwise see if she is interested in being a full time 3B and throw herself into that.

Jan 29, 2013
Believe me, the pitch and sit is painful to watch..much better seeing he play every game..and getting her bat back also.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
For HS a coach has to run with what/who he feels will benefit the team the most. He/she is limited to only work with what is legally available. With TB you can be more selective to find a team with "needs" that fit your desires.

Mine is a pitcher only for HS 90% of the season, play RF 10%, and DH( DP ) 100% of the time when not in the circle. Even though I'd like her to play some 1st ( LH ) "defensively" we have a better option at first. Long story short, HS ball you play where you're needed and when you're needed.

Another pitcher I know who pitched TB for us for years played more SS for her school than pitching. Because she was more valuable to the team at SS.

Many many TB players play out of their normal positions in HS.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
For COLLEGE a coach has to run with what/who he feels will benefit the team the most. ......
Many many TB players play out of their normal positions in COLLEGE.

Edited to note that its not just HS and TB. Positional flexibility and a good bat lead to playing time.

IIRC, Japan's gold-medal Olympic team had an infield consisting of 4 shortstops.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie