Umps calling strikes above batter's head

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I get it, but we are talking about a very good pitcher with a bigger strike zone. Waiting for a mistake is a mistake, IMO. So if you take strike one on the river and she throws it there again on the next pitch, now what? 0-2? I am just saying watching for patterns/plans and adjusting to them as a hitter is a good idea. Cant let the pitcher dominate the river.

Jun 18, 2023
I get it, but we are talking about a very good pitcher with a bigger strike zone. Waiting for a mistake is a mistake, IMO. So if you take strike one on the river and she throws it there again on the next pitch, now what? 0-2? I am just saying watching for patterns/plans and adjusting to them as a hitter is a good idea. Cant let the pitcher dominate the river.

might be 1-1, given the evidence that strike zone changes with count.

Jun 8, 2016
You don’t get it..

So you swing at a pitcher’s pitch because you are afraid to hit with two strikes. You have the same chance of hitting that pitch in the river well with no strikes as you do with two strikes..There is nothing magic about hitting a pitcher’s pitch with no strikes…you still have a low chance of hitting it well. The reason BA are higher with less strikes is because they can to choose to hit better pitches..

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
might be 1-1, given the evidence that strike zone changes with count.
I absolutely hate the changing strike zone based on the count, the score, pitchers speed, make up call, etc. but I see it all the time. Ump, one pitch at a time. 3 and1 and the strike zone gets bigger, really?

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
You don’t get it..

So you swing at a pitcher’s pitch because you are afraid to hit with two strikes. You have the same chance of hitting that pitch in the river well with no strikes as you do with two strikes..There is nothing magic about hitting a pitcher’s pitch with no strikes…you still have a low chance of hitting it well. The reason BA are higher with less strikes is because they can to choose to hit better pitches..
I do get it. The game is mental and I am not going to let a pitcher get ahead consistently on the same pitch. Nope. Upsetting her plan is more important. I want her to be afraid to throw strike one.

Jun 18, 2023
I absolutely hate the changing strike zone based on the count, the score, pitchers speed, make up call, etc. but I see it all the time. Ump, one pitch at a time. 3 and1 and the strike zone gets bigger, really?
quality of the pitcher "Maddux wouldn't have missed there."

It's the lauded human element.

but I agree, and it's one of the reasons I support an automated system, but it'll be decades, if ever, before that gets to kids. I'd suspect it's worse the lower you go too. Anecdotal of course (even for the one ump that literally said "I'm late!" as he rushed off..) but I've noticed they get a bigger zone once they've decided the game is effectively over and this last inning doesn't really matter let's just get it done.

Jun 8, 2016
I do get it. The game is mental and I am not going to let a pitcher get ahead consistently on the same pitch. Nope. Upsetting her plan is more important. I want her to be afraid to throw strike one.
I’ll give you this. If the kid is throwing same first pitch to every batter then sure sit on it and rip it. Knowing a tough pitch is coming makes it less tough. I don’t see that happening too often though as you move up in levels and hitters have the ability to drive good pitches if they are sitting on them (at lower levels you can tell some kids an outside pitch is coming and they still would have no chance)

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
This got side tracked a little bit so I did not read a lot of the posts. I am going to repeat what some others have said.

DD was on the smaller side, high balls were called strikes. I also noticed low balls were called strikes for the taller girls. Everyone has a challenge.

DD had 2 swings. In her Team practice she only swung at strikes. HC called out to her to swing as they were free pitches, she called back throw me a strike and I will swing.

We did work together outside of practice to hit high pitches so she knew how to do it.

More a pitching comment then anything else but DD would take advantage of what the umpire gave her. One game no ball could be low enough if it crossed over the plate, it was a strike. She figured it out first and every ball was the batter's ankle. Game over.

If you think it is an umpire issue you are not going to find to much sympathy. Figure it out.

Feb 15, 2017
quality of the pitcher "Maddux wouldn't have missed there."

It's the lauded human element.

but I agree, and it's one of the reasons I support an automated system, but it'll be decades, if ever, before that gets to kids. I'd suspect it's worse the lower you go too. Anecdotal of course (even for the one ump that literally said "I'm late!" as he rushed off..) but I've noticed they get a bigger zone once they've decided the game is effectively over and this last inning doesn't really matter let's just get it done.
You get what you pay for some of the time. You want MLB consistency pay MLB pay. But don't complain then when little Suzy can't throw a strike in an MLB zone.

At some point step back and think about the big picture.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad