Pocket Radar

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2014
If you already had a pocket radar, would you up grade or buy a rev fire?

I think eventually I would want to have both, At my daughter's age (8), I don't expect all that much movement, and I don't have a huge need for the feedback yet, I am thinking maybe we will start working on spin after the fall season and I might get one at that time, but I don't see it as a replacement, since we are talking about measuring different things, velocity and spin.

Additionally, I can use the rev-fire as a training aid, but since the balls are not to be hit, I can't use them with a live batter, or for feedback in games. The rev-fire is just a little more specialized in my opinion, since it is a practice only thing, while I use the pocket radar at games as well. I have not had a chance to use a rev-fire yet, so this is just my semi-informed opinion from the specs on their website, and other people's testimonials and accounts. I will very likely get one later in the year, it looks like a fantastic product.

So, I have a ball coach pocket radar, and I plan to get a rev-fire too.

May 9, 2014
Or Pocket Radar could have a sound function that could "announce" pitch speed. Think Siri on the Pocket Radar being recorded by the GoPro as the game progresses.

Yes, but since it doesn't, I have to make do with the technology available.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
So, I have a ball coach pocket radar, and I plan to get a rev-fire too.

I think both are useful in their own area.

I've had a RevFire for years (way before a pocket radar was available and waaaayyy before the ball coach version). I do not use it for speed since it's only a math calculation. Too many variables to pick up minute improvements. However, it is great for working with spin.

The ball coach is the bomb for pitch speed.

Last edited:
May 9, 2014
I think both are useful in their own area.

I've had a RevFire for years (way before a pocket radar was available and waaaayyy before the ball coach version). I do not use it for speed since it's only a math calculation. Too many variables to pick up minute improvements. However, it is great for working with spin.

The ball coach is the bomb for pitch speed.

So which might you get first, since they are both available now. I'm no expert, I've learned as I go to help my daughter, and my gut feeling is that the ball coach pocket radar is more versatile, since I can use it in games (and prove to my daughter that she is slowing down in games). From someone who has used both, what would you suggest to others? I've been suggesting a pocker radar, but perhaps there is more I can learn.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
So which might you get first, since they are both available now. I'm no expert, I've learned as I go to help my daughter, and my gut feeling is that the ball coach pocket radar is more versatile, since I can use it in games (and prove to my daughter that she is slowing down in games). From someone who has used both, what would you suggest to others? I've been suggesting a pocker radar, but perhaps there is more I can learn.

Great question. I'm sure you will get much input on this from others, so here is my two cents worth:
I would get the RevFire first. I am more interested in location and movement than peak velocity (speed). RevFire displays RPMs and the more it spins the more it can move. Even with the math calculation for speed you can tell if your DD is improving. No it won't give peak velocity, but you can get a repeatable result from the time averaged speed displayed.

You may hear a lot from others about peak velocity. Personally, I don't think that it is as important as most think. Peak speed is great for discussion and the keyboard warriors, but results speak louder. Give me a pitcher with location accuracy and movement any day over a girl that can throw fast. Teams adjust to speed much quicker than movement.

Apr 14, 2011

At 8yo I would get the pocket radar or ball coach first. The rev fire needs the special 11" or 12" ball so I'd get it when she moves up to the 12" ball and you are trying to get spin numbers on movement pitches. The Rev-Fire isn't as accurate with velocity. It will give you a ballpark number but the pocket radar is more accurate with that which I would think is more important to you at that age.

May 9, 2014
So I have 1 vote for each. That doesn't help much :)

I appreciate the differences, I think I'll probably get a rev-fire after the fall season, I am more interested when people ask me for advice, what I should suggest to them... I think I'll just suggest they visit this forum!

It isn't the absolute velocity that I am interested in, more relative, she throws slower in games and insists she doesn't... but the radar don't lie... so we are working on it.

Mar 12, 2014
I have never used the revfire, so can't really pick. But the Ball Coach edition has been great and I have had a recent awesome experience with their customer service when mine quit working. They could not have been more responsive. I was so impressed. Not quite on topic, but really made me an even bigger fan.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I wouldn't get the Rev Fire until you're actually seeing proper spin and movement on the ball. It will be good to help improve on the spin rate, and make incremental improvements, but the first priority is getting the spin right.

I say this because I watched some other coaches use one during tryouts for an organization I was with. They all stood by the plate oohing and aahing over the spin rate a couple of pitchers were getting. Not a single one of them noticed that the curve ball, rise and screw were all spinning 12 to 6. It doesn't matter how fast the ball spins if it ain't spinning in the right direction.

I'd go with the Ball Coach first. I have one and it's a handy and versatile tool. If nothing else it's great for sitting down the exaggerating dads.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi