Please say a prayer for Meghan

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
DFP - many of us "old timers" had and have a great friend in @obbay as well as @Megobee. Today, Saturday, June 12, 2021 marks the 3rd anniversary of Meghan's passing. She was a beautiful girl with her life ahead of her and unfortunately her time was cut short.

Please take a moment and reach out to @obbay and @Megobee and send them your wishes. @Megobee may be he best contact for this but I am not sure.

Meghan was a big time softball player and her future was right in front of her. Again, it was cut short and pains me to this day. Please take a minute and share your thoughts and acknowledge one of our great members's young girl who left this world way to early. An Angel and one who is looking down at us to be better, be great, and to play the game she always loved.

God Bless her and hope our community can continue to provide just a bit of comfort in your loss Bob!

We will never forget her!

S3

Aug 1, 2019
Thank you for the reminder Strike! I wasn't around back then but do remember reading the posts about her and what happened.

Prayers sent to her family and Obbay/Megobee. Truly breaks my heart and absolutely agree as you quoted that she is an Angel and looking down on us all to be better and play the game she loved.🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏

Thank you again for the reminder!

Jan 22, 2011
@STRIKE3 - As the fates would have it, I flew into Boston Logan on the 3rd anniversary of Meghan's death, to go to my two nieces' High School graduation parties. I don't have time this trip to connect with Bob this trip (and he had to go into work today), but I now have his phone number and will connect up with him when I'm back later this summer for an extended family vacation in New Hampshire. Whilst my California DD slept in this morning, I took the 45 minute one way trip from my hotel to Wakefield HS to spend some time reflecting on the blessings that softball has provided me before heading back to get my daughter to go to the graduation party. #weplayformeg www.meghanburnettfoundation.org

What I posted on facebook June 12th, 2020:

Two years ago almost to the minute I checked out my favorite softball forum after lunch and my heart broke.

I meant to end my 2018 12u-B Campbell Crush coach's speech at the season ending party with this, but I had so much to say, I didn't realize I had forgotten to say it until I got home.

Fathers, love your daughters and treasure every moment with them. They are a precious gift from God. I only told this story to one of L's teammates Father's Day weekend 2018. A few days before Father's Day 2018, an online softball brother posted heart-breaking news. His daughter was a pitcher who died after complications during surgery on her shoulder which would of allowed her to play in college.

That following weekend Lydia played well. According to game changer, on the first game Sunday morning 'Lydia L collected four hits in four at bats to help lead Campbell Crush 12UB 2018 to victory. Lydia doubled in the first, tripled in the second, singled in the third, and hit a grand slam in the fourth. '

After the game I realized L had hit for the cycle, with 9 RBIs, and scoring 3 times, during the same time Bob Burnett was having to attend his daughter's memorial service on Father's Day. What a unique way to honor Meghan Burnett's memory.

Fathers, enjoy every moment you get to watch your daughter play the game you both love. Don't be a stubborn old Swede who loves their daughter so much you almost tell them. Tell them every day! #weplayformeg

Meghan Burnett Field (meghanburnettfoundation.org)

home.jpgpplate.jpg3b.jpgme.jpgscoreboard.jpgmb.jpgmba.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2012
USA
Wow @Dabears17 . Just Wow!!! Thank you for sharing this with me and all of us. I know @Megobee is seeing it too.

I barely got through your first few sentences without having to take a deep breath. This is what this site is all about. Learning, helping, and making connections to support one another even in the most tragic times. Thank you @Dabears17 for your post! Means a ton to many I am sure!

I did email with Bob yesterday and he seems to be doing well.

Thanks again and appreciate you!!

S3

Feb 8, 2019
Wow! Thank you guys! I dont come by so much these days, but still pop in once in awhile- thank you so much for remembering…it makes it more real for me. the more time that passes, the more the details of the way life used to be start to fade. just by talking/posting you have brought my daughter back to visit, and for that i am greatfull!

Jan 22, 2011
Today is the 5th anniversary of Meghan's death. Last July I was able to arrange my schedule to fly out and help Bob with Meghan's tournament by doing my favorite thing. Field crew! I have plane reservations to do the same thing again this year for the 6th annual Meghan Burnett Foundation Memorial Tournament.

My daughter and many of those she has played with are now the same age as Meghan Burnett when she didn't wake up from an operation that would have allowed her to play in college.

I've lost an uncle, a cousin, and a sister since this post three years ago. Keep your family close, make time to spend with them, and tell them you love them daily.

To the class of 2023. Fly High. Follow your heart. Live your dream. Be passionate. Happiness is yours to take. Never give up. Your energy is limitless. Embrace Possibility. Love your life.

#weplayformeg www.meghanburnettfoundation.org

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
This is wonderful that you help keep her memory alive. Unfortunately, tomorrow is the fourth anniversary of another softball/human tragedy, which deeply impacted my family.

On June 13, 2019, Melissa Marchese was involved in a car accident which would take her life the next day. My older daughter, who at the time was in 9th grade, is still deeply impacted by her friend and catching mentor's passing. Melissa stayed on life support for five days after the crash, despite being declared brain dead on the 14th, so she could donate her organs to give five other people the chance to live. Watching the grief my daughter went through still breaks my heart, and knowing what the family went through breaks it even more.

If you can get through the video in the second link without crying, you're not human.

Jan 22, 2011
Thank you for sharing. My DW worked near McArthur airport for a couple of years before we moved west. I have family in the greater Hartford, CT area.

Several players my daughter played with and/or against are playing in college in the Northeast, either starting this year or next. She was thinking about maybe walking on at a school in the Northeast, then it snowed when we visited the last weekend in March, so she is staying in California.

Stories like this definitely make me savor every moment I got to watch my DD and her friends play the last 5 years. Live can be so fleeting that you need to take time to stop and look around, so you don't miss it.

This is wonderful that you help keep her memory alive. Unfortunately, tomorrow is the fourth anniversary of another softball/human tragedy, which deeply impacted my family.

On June 13, 2019, Melissa Marchese was involved in a car accident which would take her life the next day. My older daughter, who at the time was in 9th grade, is still deeply impacted by her friend and catching mentor's passing. Melissa stayed on life support for five days after the crash, despite being declared brain dead on the 14th, so she could donate her organs to give five other people the chance to live. Watching the grief my daughter went through still breaks my heart, and knowing what the family went through breaks it even more.

If you can get through the video in the second link without crying, you're not human.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad