Playing different positions 10u

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 21, 2013
We have worked to ensure our two DDs are able to play multiple positions. If something happens that our pitch DD is injured and cannot (heaven forbid) never pitch again, she will still be able to play 3rd or any position. Same with our catcher DD. The coaches like that fact that they can if needed be put into other positions on the field. Every position is important and the older the girls get, the outfield gets as much action as the infield due to more powerful hitters.

Aug 5, 2009
Bordentown, NJ
When my son's team was 9u, the coach played one of the boys (not mine) in CF every inning of a tournament.
By the start of the 3rd game, both the kid, and his parents were getting upset about it and complaining, etc.

In the championship rounds, the kid made 2 or 3 critical plays that ended up having a major impact on their winning the tournament ( he was incredibly fast with a gun for an arm) and received accolades from his teammates, coaches and all of the parents.

At their next practice, when another kid was out in CF, he walked out there and told the other boy to move over to left. "Center Field is MY position"

Point is, maybe the coach simply "sees" your daughter as a CF, and is hoping for something like the above to happen.
I don't think it's right, that age is way too young to be isolating her to one position, but finding out the coaches point of view is really important in trying to resolve the issue.

(BTW, the kid mentioned above did end up leaving the team two years later, because he wanted to try and develop at other positions)

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
In rec:

8U we mandate that if you play the outfield or sit out an inning you will play the next inning in the infield.

10U and above the rule is that you MUST play an infield position by the end of the third inning and no one can sit out consecutive innings.

And to the safety issue I have an answer: DEEP 2nd BASE (for slower pitchers who get pull hit) or DEEP SS (for faster pitchers where the ball tends to go to the right side.). No one said you had to play in front of the base path.

Travel - whole different beast. Pool games Primary and backup share duties. Eliminations: Best fielders on the field in the position that will best help the team.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
As a coach...while I appreciate interaction with parents, its usually motive driven. Mom thinks Sally is a better 2B than RF etc. As far as home practice, that's great, but how do we know what kind of practice? Practice makes permanent and not perfect, so am I to believe that Mom is teaching the exact same coverages as me?
Be specific on the details and be sure to explain that how you practiced at home is exactly how she practiced with her coach/team.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
As a coach...while I appreciate interaction with parents, its usually motive driven. Mom thinks Sally is a better 2B than RF etc. As far as home practice, that's great, but how do we know what kind of practice? Practice makes permanent and not perfect, so am I to believe that Mom is teaching the exact same coverages as me?
Be specific on the details and be sure to explain that how you practiced at home is exactly how she practiced with her coach/team.

So what you are saying is you don't want this dad teaching his DD how to throw? LOL

Playing catch with dad

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1