Player skipping this weekend with regular team to guest for another!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
She informs the coach mid week that she won't be at the tournament this weekend becasue she is guesting for another team that will get her 3 games on the mound.

If this was my DD I would not be ashamed asking the coach if she could guest for another Team so she could see come circle time, certainly would not inform them that she was not playing so she could pitch on another Team.

Feb 3, 2011
What about the kids she's walking out on Saturday? It's about the kids (plural), not the kid (singular), right?

If I've got an unhappy kid, I'm willing to meet them half way and even help them find a new team. But bailing on Wednesday is not cool. Unless I'm missing something.
No, it's not cool, especially in June, but she's made her decision and at 14u, she has decided that her current team is about to become her former team.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Big deal she opens up playing time LF for someone else on theteam who would normally sit, she paid her team fees already (right you aren't refunding those for her to play on another team) and she gets circle time. Unless this leaves you short a player why would this be problem?

Oct 3, 2009
She has opportunities to pitch in weekday summer leagues as opposed to turning her back on her travel team. She made a
to the team and should stick to it. If at the end of the year she wants to leave then that's fine. I understand that it's not productive for her to not pitch, but she can't leave her team high and dry with 3 days notice. That's a selfish thing to do.
She was not made any promises and she will never be the #1 on our team.

I was just offering up my DD's story and it is up to you on how much it applies to your situation. Some differences I see is for us it was a very consultative process not a 3 day notice thing so I understand your point. Now one of the interesting things that did happen is over time as she improved she became critical to the team she was guesting for and it was very difficult to end that relationship amicably even though everybody was clear upfront about expectations.

The thing that really does strike me as odd though is your statement she will never be the #1. I am quite sure almost everybody (including me honestly) who saw my DD for a long time said the same thing. Her favorite approach during games was to walk a few batters (threw hard but was wild), maybe hit one, and then promptly cry in the circle (she was and is a perfectionist). But as I say that changed very quickly and she is now pitching at 16U for the second year as a 14 year old and is successful.

So I would just say, never say never. But obviously you know the situation better than me I am just offering up something to think about.

Jun 13, 2011
Billerica, MA
I had a player and her father tell me that she would miss one of our tournaments to guest on another team IN THAT TOURNAMENT!!

I spoke with the father and said listen... ASA tournament she is on our roster... She plays for us or I will file a complaint with ASA and she won't play at all. She is playing for us and the father had some excuse about not wanting to push her too hard... WHAT?

crazy...

Apr 1, 2010
Shhe informs the coach mid week that she won't be at the tournament this weekend becasue she is guesting for another team that will get her 3 games on the mound.

That just doesn't sound right to me. If she wants more playing time, mound time, whatever..., she should ask if she can guest play on a weekend when her current team is not playing.

Jan 25, 2011
so is the HCs dd the #1 pitcher and ACs dd #2 and so on down the line.You said yourself this girl will never be the #1,why?Sounds to me the whole story has some major gaps.How can you know for a fact,what makes you the person that has all the all mighty wisdom that this girl will never get good enough to take the #1 spot away from the other girls?Lets just say that Iam willing to ask,the question and if you don't like too bad!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
We encourage our #3 and #4 pitchers to pickup with other teams for mound time, but ONLY on weekends when our team is not playing......and they are usually playing in a lower level bracket.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32