Play is considered Ended

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2016
When is the play considered ended or ball considered dead? Example. Pitcher pitches to the catcher...catcher walks back to pitcher with ball. Runner on third could legally run in, right? Since the pitcher did not have the ball. I have been thinking that only when the pitcher has the ball in the circle can the runners not advance, or when Blues calls time or such.

I'm needing to know where to find this in the NFHS Rule book.

Jun 22, 2008
The ball is always live in fastpitch softball, unless it is a foul ball, dead ball or umpire calls time. Even when the pitcher has the ball in the circle the ball is still live, there are just penalties to the runners if they violate the lookback rule.

Based on your question of runners advancing, Im assuming you are looking for the lookback rule which is NFHS 8-7

May 22, 2015
Illinois
The ball is always live in fastpitch softball, unless it is a foul ball, dead ball or umpire calls time.

I believe this to be the case also. DD has delay stolen a few bags while the pitcher has the ball in the circle after getting the ball back if nobody is close to the base to cover the throw.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I believe this to be the case also. DD has delay stolen a few bags while the pitcher has the ball in the circle after getting the ball back if nobody is close to the base to cover the throw.

If your DD is in contact with the base when the pitcher enters the circle, she should be ruled out the moment she loses contact with the base

May 22, 2015
Illinois
If your DD is in contact with the base when the pitcher enters the circle, she should be ruled out the moment she loses contact with the base

She doesn't go back to the base after her lead off so I suppose it's fine? I'm not 100% on the rule, but she hasn't been called out yet.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
She doesn't go back to the base after her lead off so I suppose it's fine? I'm not 100% on the rule, but she hasn't been called out yet.

Once the pitcher is in the circle with the ball, the runners MUST advance toward one base or the other IMMEDIATELY. Otherwise, she should be ruled out.

Mar 26, 2013
Once the pitcher is in the circle with the ball, the runners MUST advance toward one base or the other IMMEDIATELY. Otherwise, she should be ruled out.
If the runner is slowly making their way back to the base when the pitcher gets the ball in the circle, are they still entitled to stop anytime prior to reaching the base and then have to immediately commit one way or the other?

Jun 22, 2008
If the runner is slowly making their way back to the base when the pitcher gets the ball in the circle, are they still entitled to stop anytime prior to reaching the base and then have to immediately commit one way or the other?

If the runner is already in motion when the pitcher receives the ball in the circle, they still have one stop and may reverse direction. But, once they reverse direction they are bound to that unless they are played on. If they stop, they must immediately choose which direction to go and the next move they make they are bound to unless played upon.

Nov 8, 2014
If the runner is already in motion when the pitcher receives the ball in the circle, they still have one stop and may reverse direction. But, once they reverse direction they are bound to that unless they are played on. If they stop, they must immediately choose which direction to go and the next move they make they are bound to unless played upon.

what about when they are returning to first after legally overrunning it?....once they have committed to heading back to first, is it true they may not advance to 2nd if the pitcher has the ball in the circle and is not making a play?

Jun 22, 2008
If the ball is with the pitcher in the circle when the batter/runner overruns 1st base and turns to head back, yes they are committed to 1st base.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Craig052