Planning for a hard thrower?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2013
i coach a middle school team and we play a team next week that has a pitcher that throws very hard. i dont know how fast but she was the hardest throwing pitcher we faced last year and ive heard from other coaches that she is even better this year. we have a pretty good lineup 1 through 9 and i really think we could hit this girl. what are some things we could do in our next few practices to best prepare for a hard throwing pitcher? we do have a pitching machine that i use sparingly. thanks in advance.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I would not use a pitching machine. I would throw to the girls as hard as I can, from the front, from about 35 feet. And I would not mention to them that "Suzie" is really fast.

Good luck.

Feb 19, 2012
West US
Work on your small ball game. If anyone can bunt, slap, drag, etc you can put more pressure on the D if you have options on offense. I also agree with throwing fast at a close distance, if it is overwhelming at first get progressively closer.

Sep 20, 2012
SE Ohio
Build their confidence. Personally, I would use a pitching machine, starting at a speed where they are comfortable and slowly ratcheting it up. Prove to them that they CAN hit a fireballer and come game time, they WILL hit her.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Get it into their head that they are going to swing at every pitch. The decision to stop can be made much later then the decision to start needs to be made.

Oct 2, 2012
Something that's worked for me with girls of different abilities is this. Front toss or machine - have the girls swing too early on purpose, then have them swing too late on purpose. No expectations of hitting the pitch just a way to "feel" timing. It's been my experience that getting the girls to truely understand timing is something that has to be felt. After some early swings and some late swings (in a controled environment) they'll find their timing. The fun part is when they "think" they are swinging too late or too early - they often make contact right away.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Work on your small ball game. If anyone can bunt, slap, drag, etc you can put more pressure on the D if you have options on offense.

^^^^^^^ This this this this. If you don't have a lot of time to "prepare" ^^^^^this.

NOTHING in the world rattles a pitcher ( who thinks she's all that ) then for every batter to put the bat on the ball or in play. Pitchers who are use to overpowering lineups WILL GO NUTS. When they start to go nuts, they will get wild. ( walks )

You gotta play their D smart though or they will pull the corners up all the time. Mix it up, swing at first pitch then bunt. Next batter bunt first, then swing, etc. If ya got a good hitter in the line, just let her swing away.

Better edit:
Swinging or bunting on strikes, once they/she notice the pattern of what you're trying to do she will start pitching "around" your offensive approach. You'll pull a few walks being smart at the plate.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877