Planar Fasciitis, Sever's Disease or ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2010
12 yr-old DD has been having heel and ankle pain. Her coach played her in right field this weekend so she'd be on the softer grass instead of jumping up and down behind the plate, but after we were walking back to the car after being eliminated, she said the grass was easier, but she still hurt.

Unfortunately, her school's state testing runs through Thursday this week, so I've made a doctor's appt for Friday. Her coach was thinking it could be Planar Fasciitis and after some Googling, I think it could also be Sever's Disease, or who knows. I went out and bought gel shoe inserts and put them into her cleats and her regular tennis shoes. I was thinking of asking her coach to let her do something like pushups and situps during Wednesday's practice when the other girls are running. Has anyone else had experience with this sort of thing? Is there something else we should do while we wait for Friday?

BTW, she likes her shoes and cleats wide, finding the regular width uncomfortable, but now I'm wondering if she's not getting enough support?

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Sever's Disease is somewhat common in growing girls of that age. That's the first I'd ask Dr. about. Good luck.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
12 yr-old DD has been having heel and ankle pain. Her coach played her in right field this weekend so she'd be on the softer grass instead of jumping up and down behind the plate, but after we were walking back to the car after being eliminated, she said the grass was easier, but she still hurt.

Unfortunately, her school's state testing runs through Thursday this week, so I've made a doctor's appt for Friday. Her coach was thinking it could be Planar Fasciitis and after some Googling, I think it could also be Sever's Disease, or who knows. I went out and bought gel shoe inserts and put them into her cleats and her regular tennis shoes. I was thinking of asking her coach to let her do something like pushups and situps during Wednesday's practice when the other girls are running. Has anyone else had experience with this sort of thing? Is there something else we should do while we wait for Friday?

BTW, she likes her shoes and cleats wide, finding the regular width uncomfortable, but now I'm wondering if she's not getting enough support?

Just had a mom email me Thursday that her daughter has severs. She took weekend off. Mom said she will be at practice tonight, can throw and hit, but no type of running or jumping for 3 weeks, the recheck, with expectations of getting fully back at it.

I get planer facitis. It is more in the arch and middle of the foot. If that is what it is, the best thing I do is tape my foot with athletic tape. Just google how to tape for planer, lots of sites show you how. I even ran a 5k last summer on at time my foot was hurting. Once taped up, it didn't bother me at all.

Hope it gets better, dd get osgood slaughter in her knees bad during basketball, by end of last two seasons she has had to quit early. Luckily down in catcher's stance stretches out where it hurts and helps pain go away.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
My son has Sever's. He feels it in the heels and into the arch somewhat, but it does not involve the ankle. Achilles tendon and arch pull on both ends the heel plates

Bball aggravates his heels primarily because of the time spent up on his toes, though hardwood does not help. He hates to walk on his heels when they hurt, but avoiding putting them down makes it much worse.
I would presume catching would be kinder on the heels and arches if you get your heels down on the ground, in the Weaver stance(s).

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD has Sever's, she has to tolerated the pain if she wants to play. She goes to physical therapy once a week and does foot exercises every day.

Sometimes she is a jet other times you can see her running on 1 leg.

Apr 8, 2010
my dd has dealt with sever's for the last 18 months or so. seems to be letting up some now (she's 12). dr said this could come and go thru her teen years, and could also present in the knees.

good shoes and rest when needed is what works for us. we boat (when time permits) and being in the water for long periods seemed to help (tho i wonder if it just wasn't that she wasn't on her feet as much that was what helped). we tried putting the heel inserts in her shoes. that helped, but then it made her shoes not fit as comfortably.

Jan 23, 2009
NE
My DD 12 was told this past week she has akelis tendonitis (sp?) which is pulling on her heal bone since her growth plate is not closed which is making the cartlige inflammed from the movement of the heal bone since the tendon is pulling on it. Sounds very similar to this.

She wears a boot when not needing to play/practice. She finds catching is fine, it's just the running that causes discomfort. After being in a boot for a week & working on stretches to help out it takes longer before the pain comes back. She has always been a heal runner (tried working on this) I think its causing some of this issue.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
My son had issues with his growth plates (cracked) in his heels. Pain in his heel and then in his ankle as he compensated by changing his gait. Podiatrist said it was from his Achilles tendon not keeping up with his growth spurt, pulling too tightly on the bone and cracking it.

The doc gave him some 3/8 inch heel lifts to relieve the tension from the tendon.

Oct 19, 2009
My 10YO has had intermittent heel pain for the past two years. After talking to another parent of a kid who experienced similar pain, my wife took her to the doctor. We didn't get a diagnosis of any particular condition, but she did give her some special stretching exercises and a prescription for gel heel inserts. So far since that doctor visit she's had no more problems.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild