pitching "style" cocked wrist???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 29, 2013
So I'm a new coach of a 10u team and today I had a girl that said she's been going to a pitching coach and wanted to tryout at pitcher.She started pitching and she had her wrist basically cocked back as far as she can when the ball is in her glove and as she is coming out starting her pitch like this.Like I said before I'm a new coach but I have spent alot of time researching all positions,but I have never seen this style of pitching.My question is is this a respected technique to teach.She also said her coach teaches speed first then accuracy but she is much bigger than my daughter and doesn't pitch much faster.Thanks in advance

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
When I pitched and what I taught students was bring thge ball out of the glove with the wrist cocked slightly forward, not back. The wrist cocks back as you go through the downswing in back. Release in front of the hip and fire away while uncocking the wrist at release.

Other instructors may teach other things.

Never heard of cocking the wrist back right out of the glove.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
As you have probably figured out, a cocked wrist is not going to do anything to give you any speed. That said, it is not all that unusual for a coach to teach speed first. I teach the fundamentals of good mechanics and I never mention speed to them, until they have mastered their control.

But, she has a pitching coach and there is little you can do, unless you are asked.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
As long as it doesn't stay cocked, I don't think I'd worry.

I'm a form, then accuracy kinda guy. Speed is a natural byproduct of good form, so like Amy said, it's not worth mention. It just happens.

Jun 18, 2010
rylesdad, review this recent post from BM (full post here):

Lets get the terms straight so we're on the same page........

On the left is a Flexed wrist. On the right is an extended wrist, which is also called "Dorsi-Flexed" wrist.......

0ee1d473dc114830d68647854f03e0d5.gif

NEVER extend (dorsi-flex) the wrist in the front half of the circle.........If anything the wrist should be slightly flexed. (See Hillhouse Above). Notice his wrist is NEVER extended (dorsi-flexed) past parallel with the forearm.......And in fact is slightly flexed almost the entire circle........

There are certain change ups and drops and crops that work better with a dorsi-flexed wrist.......But that happens as the ball is past 12:00........Later in the sequence..........

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Thanks knightsb--I had it backwards. This is what i was thinking as cocked:

Jeremy+Manley+ISF+Men+World+Softball+Championships+rLeOWsIjBH8l.jpg

Attachments

• 36909569E.jpg
    36909569E.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Jun 18, 2010
I think she needs a more aggressive push off of the mound and a little more elbow bend before release. come to think of it, her whole motion also looks very very slow.

She must be doing some things correct to have such a long career in softball and to lead the NPF in wins, but what do I know....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321