Pitching Rules and their application

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 1, 2010
Midwest
What burned me is the inconsistency of calling the IPs, even at a 16U national level. I had a pitcher that rarely dragged her trailing toe and sometimes would be as much as 6" off the dirt. Sometimes, I would remind her to drag as frequently as every inning especially as the tournaments got bigger, but learned to watch the field ump to see if he/she was even watching (even with no runners on, some didn't). In 2010, she was called for the IP maybe 3 or 4 times (and only at the state level, not nationals), but in 2011, only once (at nationals)! I thought that I read that the umps would be looking out for IPs more in 2011...guess not. Prior to the 2011 travel season, I kept on her to work on keeping that toe down, thinking that she would probably be watched more. Alas, she pretty much had the same problem and frequency of the act and really didn't have to change because they weren't calling it. I thought that she actually pitched better after I reminded her. ALso, I was actually hesitant to mention any pitching problems on the opposing team to the umps, because then my pitcher would be more at risk when she was out there.

In retrospect, I wish that the IPs were called on her more frequently by the book. I think that she would be a much better pitcher by now because of it. There's nothing like the reality of a game to smack you in the face to wake you up.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
but learned to watch the field ump to see if he/she was even watching (even with no runners on, some didn't).

I thought that she actually pitched better after I reminded her.

Couple of good points here. The second quote first. If a pitcher seems to be doing better when legal, it could be an indication that is because that was how she was taught to pitch. Those who are illegal and cannot adjust when called are those who were taught to pitch in that manner because they will never be called. Those are the PC of which parents must be wary 'cause teaching a kid to do it wrong doesn't help when they need to do it right.

The fact that you mention runners is a point often overlooked by coaches. I have watched games (as a spectator or evaluator) where a pitcher is legal until a runner gets on base that the umpire needs to move. It is not an coincidence this happens, these girls are trained to cheat and shame on the coaches who attempt to justify it. I've also seen coaches go ballistic on the umpire because it is obvious that the pitcher is sliding forward or leaping. The only problem is, that coach isn't standing behind F4 or F6 where the view is much different than from the dugout or coach's box.

Dec 7, 2011
kk & all :

On the contention that crow-hopping may not give an advantage let me pose this observation I have made over the years and let's see what y'all think:

To me the dominant majority of blatant crow-hopping is done by more athletic, and usually hand-in-hand, more vertically challenged pitchers. When I notice a shorter pitcher has got some unusual quickness to her pitches it is always accompanied by crow-hopping.

So am I "off" on this observation here? Anyone else see this?

May 7, 2008
First as a pitching coach, I certainly don't teach crow hopping but I do work to get rid of it....sometimes I even succeed! many young begginners come in with a good season or two of "home schooling" which involves copying the other girl who copied the one before that and can lead to some real innovations in technique.

And sometimes they just get out of tune. I have an occasional student who is extremely talented (asa eastern finals as 10U) who I had not seen in 6 months and who managed to grow about 5" in that time. She came in with a little crow hop/foot off the ground and her Dad wanted know if I thought she would get called for it? All it took was changing her reference point about where her stride needed to go now that she was taller and stronger. Moved out the stride foot point and and that floating foot went away , and with the more aggressive stride speed went up a few mph. That made her smile! A real crow hop (with a replant and pitch from a foot closer to the plate is an advantage) a floating foot really adds no power and in my experiences often goes away with a slight increase in stride length....long story but proper mechanics give good results... hmm funny how that works!

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
kk & all :

On the contention that crow-hopping may not give an advantage let me pose this observation I have made over the years and let's see what y'all think:

To me the dominant majority of blatant crow-hopping is done by more athletic, and usually hand-in-hand, more vertically challenged pitchers. When I notice a shorter pitcher has got some unusual quickness to her pitches it is always accompanied by crow-hopping.

Cat Osterman, vertically challenged? I don't think it has as much to do with height, but situational pitching. As an umpire, I see it more when the pitcher needs a little more on the ball, whether speed or movement, when she tends to give a little extra effort/drive and the momentum lifts her a little more than usual and pulls the pivot foot off the ground. Whether a leap or CH all depends on when she releases the ball.

Jan 27, 2010
Eastern Iowa
This is a simple problem to fix. Call the game the way the RULE BOOK reads. I could care less about an umpire's OPINION or if it is uncomfortable to do. If it is in the book call it. Pretty simple to me.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
This is a simple problem to fix. Call the game the way the RULE BOOK reads. I could care less about an umpire's OPINION or if it is uncomfortable to do. If it is in the book call it. Pretty simple to me.

DD's Manager would have agreed with you until his DD start pitching a little bit. :)

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
kk & all :

I think you are off a bit. I have seen it from a variety of sizes and shaped pitchers. I have seen some short skinny pitchers who can really bring it without crow hopping, and I have seen tall big boned girls reestablish and push off a second time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG