Pitching rubber

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
All how is the pitching rubber supposed to be used? Do you recommend always setting up in the same place on the rubber or changing it depending on the pitch location or type? My DD's PC always has her set up on the very right of the mound. I'm still learning so just want to ask the board thoughts or suggestions?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Do you recommend always setting up in the same place on the rubber or changing it depending on the pitch location or type?

No. Absolutely not. At higher levels of play, if the pitcher does anything to indicate she is throwing a particular pitch or to a particular location, she will murdered.

My DD's PC always has her set up on the very right of the mound.

I imagine he is going to teach her a curve. At lower levels of play, it might be more effective to stand on the right side of the rubber. At higher levels of play, nothing matters except how good is her control, how much she makes the ball break, how fast she throws the ball, and how well she changes speed.

She'll find the best place to stand for her personal style after a couple of years.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Be careful when learning not to use foot placement on the mound to compensate for issues with mechanics, although most righty pitchers prefer the left side, both for the fact your arm is not at the center of your body and to hide flaws. One spot in the end.

Lastly, I have pitchers starting to get called for stepping out of the lane, or lining up in a way (too close to the edge) that the ump feels the need to come out and move them as a preventative measure. Better to work with it before that time and age!

An ump would move a pitcher as a preventative measure? What is that? If she is close to violating a rule, but isn't, then what authority does an ump have to do anything? Would he tell her, your pitches are all in the black, very close to being a ball, you should start hitting more of the plate? Maybe they will start calling out slap hitters because they are close to being out of the box when they hit the ball. If an ump did this to one of my pitchers, I would be livid.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
My DD for whatever reason felt more comfortable with her pivot foot starting all the way to the pitchers right side of the rubber. I kept her there because her outside pitches and rollover had better angles when she would hit the outside corner. She has gradually moved back towards the middle of the rubber. I don't know if it makes any difference at all. I definitely wouldn't move for different pitches. You don't want the hitters getting tipped off in any way.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
They think they are teaching, hence the thread, When umpires coach...
The pitcher was probably over the line, so he was probably trying to be nice, because next year in HS, the line will be painted.

Wow, I can see it though I suppose. I had an ump tell me last year that my pitcher was close to crow hopping and I should talk to her. I told him, when she crow hops, call it. Then I will talk to her. Until then I don't want it in her head. No crow hopping call all year, because she is no where near crow hopping. But he thought she was close.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
The invisible lines from the edges of the rubber to the corners of the plate, they are going to be painted?? The pitchers feet must stay between those lines or illegal pitch.

This will get interesting. Especially when it means BOTH FEET must stay between those lines until the ball is released.

Oh yeah, guess what else. YOU CANNOT CHALLENGE THE BLUES DECISION EITHER BECAUSE IT IS A JUDGEMENT CALL, just like a called ball or strike. Yup, this will get interesting.

Oct 19, 2009
The invisible lines from the edges of the rubber to the corners of the plate, they are going to be painted?? The pitchers feet must stay between those lines or illegal pitch.

This will get interesting. Especially when it means BOTH FEET must stay between those lines until the ball is released.

Oh yeah, guess what else. YOU CANNOT CHALLENGE THE BLUES DECISION EITHER BECAUSE IT IS A JUDGEMENT CALL, just like a called ball or strike. Yup, this will get interesting.

Question, does the entire foot have to be over the line, any part of the foot over the line
or the foot just touching the line?

Jan 27, 2010
I have a friend who is college ump and the way he explained it to me was if any portion of the stride foot lands inside the line that it was a legal pitch. Somewhat similar to a foul line in that any portion of the ball lands on the line it is considered fair. The drag or push foot does not have to stay inside the line to be legal. Hal, the pitching rubber is 24" wide and the plate is 17" wide so the lines cannot be drawn from the edges of the rubber towards the corners of the plate or they would not be parallel lines.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2010
FYI: The lines only go to the end of the circle, like college.
If your reply is directed to my post, I am quite aware of where the lines are drawn. If so, I have clarified my post to include the word "towards" instead of "to the corner of the plate". The lines are equal distance apart at the edges of the rubber and at the point where they intersect the circle.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00