Pitching Regulations - Present the Ball???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Here you go. These are the case plays from the 2011 Case Book involving Rule 6.1

RULE 6- PITCHING (FAST PITCH)

PLAY 6.1-1
Fl takes the signal with the hands separated, the non-pivot foot behind and within the 24-inch of the pitcher’s plate, and starts the pitch with the foot behind the pitcher’s plate.
RULING: This is illegal for all Female FP games. All preliminaries before the pitch must be done with both on the pitcher’s plate. In Male FP games, this is legal. Preliminaries are identical but the non- pivot foot may be on or behind the pitcher’s plate. (6- IA-D)

PLAY 6.1-2
Fl takes a signal while standing behind the pitcher’s plate. Fl then assumes a legal pitching position, pauses with the hands apart then brings them together and pitches the ball.
RULING: Legal pitch. Fl must only appear to be taking the signal while legally in contact with the pitcher’s plate. (6-ID)

PLAY 6.1-3
May Fl take the pitching position with the hands already together?
RULING: No, this is illegal. Fl’s hands must be apart when stepping onto the pitcher’s plate and
while taking the signal. An illegal pitch should be called as soon as the violation occurs. (6-IA)

PLAY 6.1-4
In all Male FP, Fl takes a signal with hands separated and simultaneously steps backward while bringing the hands together.
RULING: LegaL Male pitchers can step backwards before, during or after bringing the hands together. (6-1E[lj)

Reading too much into rules is not uncommon among those involved in the game, including umpires. This is why some umpires hesitate prior to making rulings as they are reviewing the play mentally. Same with rules. You read them, hear them repeated at clinics and still you need to stop and think about when applying them and sometimes things are considered that shouldn't be.

For example, until a few years ago, the D3K rule in the ASA book was incorrect. It addressed the application of the rule when there were less than 2 outs and no runner on first and when there were 2 outs and a runner on first, but the wording was so specific it ignored a situation with 2 outs and no runner on first base. It was an oversight and no one ever questioned it, but it was probably overlooked in haste to make sure the wording was right for the 2-out exception with runners on first. When brought to the attention of the National Umpire Staff a few years ago, it was changed to read as it does presently.

Rules can be tough, but are not stand alone items. The rules complement each other and not only does the book need to be viewed as a single unit, but schools, clinics, case books and constant clarifications are necessary to keep up with the game and it can be maddening.

Thanks, the 1 sec. pause I always believed was a part of the rule, and ignored, is in fact not a part of the rule.

Oct 12, 2011
Is there a height regulation on a pitched ball? Facing some really bad pitching 12 u teams and it seems like slowpitch softball. It is really hard for our girls to hit it. Yhey are not even trying to throw the ball straight.

Jun 22, 2010
Is there a height regulation on a pitched ball? Facing some really bad pitching 12 u teams and it seems like slowpitch softball. It is really hard for our girls to hit it. Yhey are not even trying to throw the ball straight.
No, there is not. A slowpitch-type arc is perfectly legal in fastpitch.

Feb 3, 2011
I teach them to actually put the ball in the glove and get their grip there, so that there is no confusion.

This is just one of many things I learned from this forum. It looked as though both of our pitchers received instruction from the PU on Sunday NOT to do this, so I wanted to return to this thread for clarification. He wanted the ball in the pitching hand just prior to the start of the pitch. Both girls were able to adjust based on his demand (same guy for both games), but those of us who follow DFP knew he wasn't going by the current ASA rules.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
This is just one of many things I learned from this forum. It looked as though both of our pitchers received instruction from the PU on Sunday NOT to do this, so I wanted to return to this thread for clarification. He wanted the ball in the pitching hand just prior to the start of the pitch. Both girls were able to adjust based on his demand (same guy for both games), but those of us who follow DFP knew he wasn't going by the current ASA rules.

He was wrong. Hands must be apart with ball in hand or glove.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
...He wanted the ball in the pitching hand just prior to the start of the pitch.

PU had our catcher relay this same message to DD this past weekend at ASA State. He wanted the ball in her pitching hand prior to motion. DD always keeps the ball in her glove then moves her pitching hand in to the glove. He never called and IP just stated that he would. Very frustrating for these girls to have to deal with each umpires own preferences.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
Since we are here again how about we list what the illegal pitches are.... I recently had an umpire call an illegal pitch a "balk". TO which I walked away and under my breath said, "no such thing in fastpitch." I know immediately when I have a good umpire versus not these days.
The good ones are ALWAYS here for the game. Willing to answer (at the right time), firm but fair with the players and good at ignoring us old windbags if we get upset. I am thankful for the good ones.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
this misconception of "present" reared its head again this past weekend in a Little League Section championship game. No IP was called (thankfully) but after the inning our pitcher was "warned". I politely gave protest, and asked that they consult the rulebook, which they did. All was well after that...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1