Pitching net

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2015
We have only a 30' space in our basement, which has concrete floors. No way I can catch in that environment without injury. During winter and rain she's gotta pitch into the net. We use it for hitting too. Soft toss in the basement. We also will sometimes take it to the field. I'll set it up behind me when I'm catching for her so the ones that get past me (I'm not exactly a star catcher) don't go far. We love the net and use it all the time.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I found the Rukket nets on Amazon for $79.99 with a lifetime warranty so I ordered 2. I just wrote a review on them and posted a link under the equipment forum if anyone's interested.

Jan 31, 2014
North Carolina
I'm in the bownet (powernet) corner also.

Early in the process, we up our bownet in the living room so DD could practice during rain and winter. She only missed it once... barely missed smashing an antique clock on top of an antique book case. We didn't move the net, but DD moved a little closer to it! Still use it occasionally for some drills, but not too often. We use it more for hitting off a tee in the garage once in a while.

If you have space, a little more green to spend (but not much), and a little time, consider setting up a 10 by 10 net like a backstop out in your yard. Not portable, but saves you chasing pitches as often, she can pitch into that also. Then pretty soon you'll want to add more netting for a batting cage. Then you'll need some lights to keep at it after dark, and eventually you'll want to cover the whole mess to keep the rain off, and finally closing it in and adding heat. I haven't tried all this yet, but I want to. Let us know how it goes.

Nov 12, 2015
May I ask you why you need a pitching net?

DD has been pitching for about 7 years and I cannot think of one time where she needed to throw into a net. My unsolicited suggestion would be to create a pitching area at your house (e.g. yard, basement, etc). Throw down a pitching plate, measure the distance for her age, and get a home plate. Buy yourself a glove and a sturdy bucket and "Presto", you have yourself a pitching area. There are so many reason to have a live catcher that I can't begin to list them all, but probably the most important is that you get to spend 30 minutes of uninterrupted, one on one time with your DD.

I definitely agree with you. We have another child in competitive gymnastics that we take to and from practice, so we're not always home before dark where we can catch for her. Where we live the time has changed, so it gets dark before 7 PM and depending on our work schedule we may not be home too. During the summer, when it's daylight longer, we always catch for her. I was just thinking this could get us through the winter.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Just ordered the PowerNet 7x7 and the optional I-Screen for $119 (shipped) through amazon. Same in a Bownet would be $212.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
For pitching practice we have found that using a tarp is more fun than a net. The tarp makes more noise and provide more audible "feedback" than a net. They are also cheap and readily available at Home Depot or Lowes.
Mojo.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
JAD, that pic makes your dd look like she is about 6' 18" tall. Is she going to Michigan, Alabama or Florida?

You need to find a tiny little bucket and optic yellow baseballs and use that as recruiting pic

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Not only was the tarp cheap, we also got to "recycle" the old swing set at the lake house! Another bonus of using a tarp is I challenged my DD to bust a hole in it and told her I would get her a new bat when she busted through it.....this incentive program also helped me sell my DW on allowing me to buy another bat!

Jun 7, 2013
I have a pretty big living room area with a wood floor where we will practice at times. We use a "standard" 6' X 6' net which suffices most of the time. However, once a stray ball broke a window. So, now I ensure that we use 'softies' which hasn't broken a window, yet.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06