pitching myths vs truth

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
That one must train the wrist to snap. I don't recall how or when for sure, but I think it was about a year after I got the bug and started working with kids (8 years ago +/-.) I love Coach Pauly's exercise using a wrist brace to show that wrist snap isn't about training the wrist to snap harder.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Myth: riseballs rise from original trajectory
Truth: riseballs fall less from original trajectory than other pitches assuming same velocity

A coach or parent pointing out what they think your pitcher is doing wrong mechanically is more times than not horse@(##.

Myth: If a college coach says it (regarding pitching mechanics), it must be true.
Truth: Just because a college coach is showing a particular pitching mechanic doesn't necessarily mean it is what the best of best pitchers do.

Myth: Having been a pitcher necessarily makes you a great pitching coach.
Myth: It's impossible to be a good pitching coach if you have never pitched.

Myth: You can pitch your fastest pitch holding an open cup of coffee in your glove hand without spilling coffee.

Feb 7, 2013
Myth#1: a pitched ball can gain speed as it reaches home plate.

Reality: a pitched ball is always fastest at release and starts to lose both velocity and spin rate per second as it travels to home plate because of drag, gravity and other forces on the ball.

Myth#2: Bill Hillhouse learned the bent-fingered riseball from Hal Skinner (may god rest your soul)

Reality: Bill figured this out on his own as a young pitcher playing up with some of the best men's pitchers in the U.S. / World.

Myth#3: for a roll-over drop, the pitcher needs the fingers to roll over the top of the ball to create topspin (12/6 spin)

Reality: to maximize 12/6 spin on all drop balls, the upper arm, lower arm and hand will be internally rotating into release creating the topspin.

I have no idea the about the conflict about the bent finger riseball between Hal and Hillhouse and really don't care. But I do want everyone to know that in July 1970 I was taught the bent finger riseball by the main pitcher on the men's fastpitch team I caught and pitched for. And he was taught the same pitch by an older pitcher when he first came into the game as a pitcher. So the bent finger riseball has been around for a long time.

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
Myth: pitching coaches on Fastpitch are softball God's
Truth: learn the mechanics of pitching yourself so you can recognize myths

Truth: be open to new tricks but do not embrace all new tricks

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket
My myth no 1. You have to have a pitching coach to learn the fundamentals of pitching
Truth is, we spent 2 years with a hello elbow style pc, that was hell bent his way was the only way. Gave up, took a year off, found this site, started doing the IR drills, found on the 2nd drill, IR was the way to go. That's how quick she felt it and I seen it. For those who are interested, take the time to read and learn. And if questions come up, this is the place to be!

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Good points. I would say a good PC is useful now and then.
A bad PC is worse than no PC.

There are a lot of pitching coaches in town with a lot of students. DD 3 never used any of them.

As Yogi Berra said, you can observe a lot just by watching.
DD 3 observed some pitchers, and copied them. Unfortunately they were HE style.
I noticed DD 1 was on a good TB team at the time, and HC pitched men's fast pitch. I also noticed how good his DD was at pitching, only having worked with her father and other men's fast pitch pitcbers.
DD 1's former HC has given DD 3 occasional tips and lessons since then. Mostly it's been DD 3 teaching herself.
DD 3 learned her change up while practicing with the big girls' team. PC's DD showed her the change up. When DD showed her PC the change up, he was floored. We had to explain that his DD taught it.

Moral: a girl who is really devoted to pitching can learn a lot on her own. I've known some girls who see a PC twice a week. DD 3 sees a PC several times each year. If a girl can remember what her PC said, and apply the lessons in her own practice, she only needs occasional help from a PC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish