Pitching Lessons or Not?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 23, 2009
NE
My DD will be 10 in Dec and we play 10U ball. She caught this past year and I put her in to pitch a few innings.

She has great work ethic - always asking to go out and pitch and without any formal lessons or training she has come a long way.

How / when do you decided if getting lessons for her is correct. I have asked her if she wants to be a pitcher. Her response is 'Yes' if that means I get to play more.

Money is kind of tight also. Do I try to take her to a hour clinic first for the next year?

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Lessons are very important in the early stages of pitching. Make sure that you do some research and choose a pitching coach that can help. You really don't want your DD to have bad mechanics from the get-go, they are just too hard to fix once they are memorized.

May 29, 2009
Another reason to get lessons early is injury prevention. It's true that bad mechanics are hard to fix later but they can also lead to injuries, even in 10 year old girls. My DD wound up in physical therapy 3 times a week at 9 years old for her non-throwing shoulder. They are growing so quickly at this age that it doesn't take much for them to hurt themselves.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I don't know where you are located, but she is an ideal age to start lessons. In fact, I would have rather she come to lessons before she ever tried to pitch. You won't want to wait much longer.

How much are lessons in your area? I charge $20.00 for 45 minutes and girls usually come once a week. So, that is $80.00/month and I agree, when money is tight, that is a lot.

Some parents are getting grandma to help, some bartered some office work with me and some try to get by with 3 lessons a month. Good luck and enjoy the time with your DD.

Jan 6, 2009
Texas
You have to start with an instructor. Tell him what your situation is - I would bring a video camera and record the session so you dont forget what he/she says. Ask him if he/she recommends any of the Ernie Parker/Bill Hillhouse/Michelle Smith etc. videos and get those to help you during your periods away from the instructor. But the important thing about going to an instructor is for him/her to see and fix issues.

My daughter's current pitching coach asks her to take a notepad and record the keypoints that she went over during that session on our drive home (5 hour drive one way).

May 13, 2008
I am a BIG fan of Hillhouse and Gillis. These guys are fastpitch pitchers who have played at the highest levels possible AND they understand and can teach the mechanics. You owe it to yourself and your DD to understand as much as you can about this process. The earlier you give your DD a good foundation the less time you'll have to spend breaking bad habits later. Buy the videos from Hillhouse and Gillis. Bill's is better produced and Doug's series goes more into depth.

Bill Hillhouse: House of Pitching Softball Academy
www.douggillis.comdg.asp

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
DD sarted two years ago at exactly the same point your daughter is. Pitched a few times in a 10U game but had never had any formal training. We went with the suggestion of our League Director for a local pitching coach (she's listed on the list Hal Skinner occasionally posts here).

DD started with the basics of sound fundamental mechanics. Dad listened in so and watched so I knew what they were working on. During our practice outside the lesson (2-3 times a week) I could see what DD was doing properly or remind her of a point the coach worked on during the lesson to make an adjustment.

It took about 3 months of work to begin to throw strikes consistantly (50%) and the better part of a year to get to the 60% strike ratio. Lots of time on the bucket for Dad. PS buy a large bucket of softballs or set your bucket/plate up so a wall is behind you. Saves lots of time not having to chase all the pitches thrown off line - there will be lots of those in the beginning. Good luck.

Aug 2, 2008
Everyone here is correct. Also, educate yourself as much as possible. There is alot of b.s. out there and you need to be able to recognize it, and stay away from it. Read the internal rotation thread in the pitching section, it is helpful for anyone who is new to windmill pitching. (10 yo's wont understand it, so you need to) My daughter started at 9 and developed a bad leaning over problem on release that took around 10 months to fix. The problem developed because I didn't educate myself properly, and once a week with her coach wasn't enough to counter what I was unkowingly telling her. Don't overdue it, A kid who truely wants to do somthing never needs to be yelled at.

Mike

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01