Pitchers role in cutoffs considering USSSA rules for 12U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 4, 2015
New to the board and wanted to get peoples opinion on this. I am a long time HS baseball coach who has converted to softball and coaching my daughter. One thing I have struggled with is the pitchers role in cutoffs in 12U. In baseball I know a pitcher's responsibility is to back up the bases. In USSSA with the look back rule and the pitcher in the circle stopping runners from moving once they get the ball does it make more sense to have the pitcher stay near the circle to take the cuts to home and have the left fielder back up throws to 3rd and the 1B cut off throws home? Again if it wasn't for this USSSA look back rule I would go the normal route with either the 3rd or 1st basemen as the cut to home but it looks like the specify the pitcher must be the one in the circle for the look back rule to be in effect. This makes me think the pitcher is the better person to take the cuts to home so they can immediately get to the circle and stop the other runners.

I would love to hear peoples thoughts on this. We play mostly USSSA tournaments and I believe that look back rule is specific just to that set of rules.

Thanks

Jan 12, 2012
A, A
Teach them to play the right way. Look at the teams in the WCWS. The pitchers are backing up the bases.

Jan 14, 2015
Agree with Heavy, I also taught pitcher to back up bases. Also the LBR is not solely a USSSA rule, it applies to all bodies, even Rec Ball.

As you switch over to softball you will see many teams doing many things differently, bunt coverage comes to mind. Don't panic or freak out, this only means that coach found a system that is effective and one he can teach well. It doesn't mean one way is better than the other.

My immediate advice is to read the rule books over and over.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
The Look back rule is in all the rule sets with perhaps some minor differences, but one thing that is not in the rule and that is that the runners have to stop running just because the pitcher has the ball in the circle. Go down the page a bit to our rules forum and you will find several threads on the LBR and how it works in various situations.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I am not going to disagree with your decision just your reasoning for your decision.

LBR – If the P has the ball in the circle the runners do not have to stop running, they are just not allowed to stop running then continue. (Close enough)

With that in mind in my opinion if any of my infielders have the ball in the middle of the IF it becomes my choice if the runners continue running even without the LBR.

May 18, 2009
We use the pitcher to cover home if the play is going to be there. Otherwise they stay in the circle or close to it during cut offs. I've seen pitchers field a short online throw to home and it's allowed a base runner to beat the ball home. 1st and pitcher backup plays at home. Pitcher on 3rd base side.

Jan 14, 2015
We use the pitcher to cover home if the play is going to be there. Otherwise they stay in the circle or close to it during cut offs. I've seen pitchers field a short online throw to home and it's allowed a base runner to beat the ball home. 1st and pitcher backup plays at home. Pitcher on 3rd base side.

I think you misspoke in the BOLD area. Did you mean to say you have the pitcher backup home?

In your example, an online throw being fielded by the cutoff would be at the direction of the catcher or others yelling "cut two" or "cut three". The cutoff player should be listening to her fielders, mainly the catcher. It doesn't matter if the cutoff player is the pitcher or first baseman. If they intercepted a throw to home it was probably because someone directed her to catch it. If the catcher wanted the throw to go through to her at home, she needs to tell the cut-off accordingly.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
The "look back rule" applies to most sanctions, but should not alter how you play defense. We still rotate the 1B in to take the cutoff and P backs up 3B or HP. Position players should hold their bags until the P returns to the circle with the ball.

Jun 4, 2015
Thanks for the responses. I was unaware that the LBR is part of all the different rule sets. It seems like most of you think I should play it like baseball with the cuts and have the pitchers back up 3B or Home respectively. That is actually easier for me since it is what I have been used to. The only worry I had was getting the ball back to the circle quickly and if the pitcher was backing up it would take longer to get it back to the circle. The pitcher has to be the one in the circle for the look back rule to be in effect correct? That is my understanding anyway. In 12U this year we have had a lot of shallow of balls where they can throw it to the pitcher quickly and I guess that is the other reason I have kept them there because a lot of times the pitcher hasn't had a ton of time to go back up with a hard hit ball to an outfield who isn't as deep as they would be as they get older. This game is so much shorter and quicker and it has had me racking my brain on a lot of things to see what I believe translates from baseball. I do agree with earlier posts to teach them the way they will do it in HS and not just think of trying to gain an advantage in 12U

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan