Pitchers dealing with the heat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2009
SE TX here, so yup we deal with the heat and humidity.

I'm with the general consensus, of hydrating the day before and the day of the tournament. Cold rags and misters are a must, but #1 above all things is CONDITIONING.

Kids these days spend more and more time indoors than outdoors and through experience I'm finding more and more of them cannot even make it through a 30 minute class. I tell them they need to do some conditioning time outdoors and they won't do it.
More and more instructors are also moving into buildings to do lessons so some kids never even go outside to pitch until game time.

When my DD went to college her coach sent home work out plans for the summer which included -3 mile run, in the heat of the day-- Which upset my DD because all she could think of during her 100 degree runs was her Canadian teammate who was probably pushing high 70's. :p

Conditioning is important and I'm finding it harder and harder to get my students to go outside.

Aug 6, 2013
Just got some great advice: Coconut water. It has fewer calories, less sodium, and more potassium than a sports drink while being super hydrating with electrolytes. I drink it occasionally but never new it was so hydrating. Had DD try some...she didn't like the taste - yet. :rolleyes:

We just bought some Coconut water last tourney - DD hated it straight but I drank it and it worked better than Sports Drink -

We’re going to try mixing the Coconut water with something else (Sport drink maybe) for DD

Amy - Back in the 60's and 70's when my dad worked in the Steel mill they would hand out salt pills to all the mill hunkeys right after labor day - and a headband with a sponge attached that they would soak in ice water -

I also remember him talking about 5 gal buckets of ice and ammonia water that you would stick your hands into if you were starting to succumb to the heat

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Conditioning, starting hydration 3 day before tournaments, and sipping water all day long (instead of just drinking long gulps all the time which should also be done).

Wearing appropriate clothing - underarmor helps. Wearing a visor and sunscreen in the field. Good amount of fruit. Staying in the shade when there is a chance. Avoiding going in and out of air conditioning multiple time

But I agree - we upped our conditioning a lot this year and it has made a difference.

Dec 7, 2011
5 gal buckets of ice and ammonia water that you would stick your hands into if you were starting to succumb to the heat

Not sure about the ammonia but I know that in previous summers the cold 5 gal bucket of ice-water FOR THE NON-PITCHING arm was a great cooler-downer.

Feb 16, 2012
My DD (14) has had issues with this for as long as she has played ball. Once season starts we reduce any soda intake to just about 0. She drinks water all day every day, not just the day before or even a few days before a tournament. She has a frog tog that she puts around her neck every time she comes in. It is kept in a cooler with a little ice and water. Fruit and protein bars in between games since she will not eat while playing. Starting the hydration earlier and doing it every day has almost completely eliminated any issues last year and so far this year.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Not sure about the ammonia but I know that in previous summers the cold 5 gal bucket of ice-water FOR THE NON-PITCHING arm was a great cooler-downer.

Ammonia water is standard fare for umpires and some teams down here. Have some players mitigate their headaches simply by wearing sunglasses.

May 29, 2014
A lot of great ideas, Thank You. She does wear prescription sunglasses. I do agree with the conditioning, these kids don't nearly do as much as we did when we were kids.

Jun 2, 2012
Cobb. My dd has gone down twice last year due to heat. Learned about coconut water after that. I mix orange juice with it so that she will drink it. It works.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1