Pitcher taking too much time

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
Pitching/Hitting Rule? We faced a pitcher the other day that took about a minute between each pitch standing halfway between the mound and 2nd base. She would make our batters step in the box and wait for her to step to the mound.. take the signal.. and pitch. The ump gave her a warning, then their coach argued that our batters weren't getting in the box quick enough. I am confused about the 10 second rule for hitters. Why would it be okay for a pitcher to make a batter get set.. then continue to wait for her to proceed to the mound.. take the signal.. etc. It was frustrating as the pitcher sometimes went all the way to 2nd base before proceeding to mound... and the game took forever.

Does anyone know who is in the right here?

Mar 13, 2010
Pitching/Hitting Rule? We faced a pitcher the other day that took about a minute between each pitch standing halfway between the mound and 2nd base. She would make our batters step in the box and wait for her to step to the mound.. take the signal.. and pitch. The ump gave her a warning, then their coach argued that our batters weren't getting in the box quick enough. I am confused about the 10 second rule for hitters. Why would it be okay for a pitcher to make a batter get set.. then continue to wait for her to proceed to the mound.. take the signal.. etc. It was frustrating as the pitcher sometimes went all the way to 2nd base before proceeding to mound... and the game took forever.

What rule set? NFHS? ASA? USSSA? Other?

Jun 22, 2008
The batter has no reason to enter the box if the pitcher isn'teven in the circle. Asa does have a rule the batter must keep a foot in the box but nothing about completely entering before the pitcher is in position. Most rule sets have a 20 second limit on the pitcher. Once they receive the ball they have 20 seconds to deliver the pitch.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
We actually coach our batters not to get set until the pitcher addresses the rubber. They need to be relaxed until the pitcher starts her wind up to avoid fatigue from loading too early.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
The batter has no reason to enter the box if the pitcher isn'teven in the circle. Asa does have a rule the batter must keep a foot in the box but nothing about completely entering before the pitcher is in position. Most rule sets have a 20 second limit on the pitcher. Once they receive the ball they have 20 seconds to deliver the pitch.

Comp - is the 20 second rule from the time the pitcher receives the ball, or from the time she addresses the rubber?

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ

Comp has provided the applicable rule for ASA and HS, NCAA is a bit different.

I have a hard time believing that a full minute elasped as you stated. No disrespect intended and I'm sure it seemed like a long time to those watching the game, but a full minute is a long time when all you are doing is waiting for something to happen.

The rule states that the pitcher has 20 seconds to deliver the pitch from the time they recieve the ball. Even that 20 seconds is a long time. When I am a PU and it seems as if the pitcher is delaying and I start to time it, I rarely get much beyond 10 seconds before the ball is on its way. Also remember that we don't carry stop watches on the field, so that "20 seconds" is somewhat subject to umpire judgement.

In conclusion, the penalty for failing to deliver the ball within the 20 seconds is a ball on the batter. I think I have actually had to do that once in the last ten years or so.

Feb 7, 2013
Comp has provided the applicable rule for ASA and HS, NCAA is a bit different.

I have a hard time believing that a full minute elasped as you stated. No disrespect intended and I'm sure it seemed like a long time to those watching the game, but a full minute is a long time when all you are doing is waiting for something to happen.

The rule states that the pitcher has 20 seconds to deliver the pitch from the time they recieve the ball. Even that 20 seconds is a long time. When I am a PU and it seems as if the pitcher is delaying and I start to time it, I rarely get much beyond 10 seconds before the ball is on its way. Also remember that we don't carry stop watches on the field, so that "20 seconds" is somewhat subject to umpire judgement.

In conclusion, the penalty for failing to deliver the ball within the 20 seconds is a ball on the batter. I think I have actually had to do that once in the last ten years or so.

Thanks - that does make sense! I appreciate your response and insight.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad