Pitch calling strategy

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2016
Hello DFPers!

My daughter is 15yo pitcher. She took a year off back in 2019 and came back successfully for the 2020 high school season. She got the majority of the starts and was 2nd team all conference as a freshman. She has since joined a very competitive travel team and has done great so far this fall season, both in travel and in High School fall ball.

The H.S. coach last year was very inexperienced with the game in general, and the difficulty my daughter had was with pitch calling, especially in pitchers counts (0-2, 1-2) where she gave up hits more often than she should. This year she has a new H.S. coach and it is obvious that there is a similar issue in those same situations. This coach is an improvement with game knowledge as she played in college, but I don't think there is a clear plan when it comes to calling pitches. I've talked to my daughter about making the batters chase on those counts, but for a couple of reasons it seems like she's not comfortable pitching outside of what is called. We have very inexperienced catchers and she thinks she should throw what the coach calls - and there are no calls on the wristband that are waste pitches/chase pitches. She usually has the same catcher catching for her, who will likely be the starter when Spring season comes around, so I was wondering if they should come up with a plan for those situations.

My question is this, what is a good plan? How does it get communicated properly?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! If more info is needed please let me know.

Thanks!

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I am not totally understanding the OP. Is your DD being instructed to throw everything over the plate at all times and if so, can your DD actually do that?

My recommendation is that for an 0-2 pitch, if the coach calls something "hard" then miss with that hard pitch just outside of the zone. Surely to goodness the call isn't for something down the middle. If the count calls for what you describe as a "waste pitch," it should be easy enough to miss up, down, inside or outside with the pitch that is called. If the call is for a changeup and your DD disagrees with it, miss in the dirt or in the river inside. That typically results in either a ball being called or a foul ball.

A good strategy for you DD to use is to have a talk with the coach on what her approach has been with hitters. For example, I coached a young lady who made it clear that she was not a "strikeout pitcher." Therefore, we wanted to use up and in and low and away for waste pitches while allowing her to get good use of her drop ball which most often resulted in groundballs to SS. (For righthanded hitters) That communication effort could make a whole lot of difference in your DD establishing report with the new coach.

Oct 4, 2016
I am not totally understanding the OP. Is your DD being instructed to throw everything over the plate at all times and if so, can your DD actually do that?

My recommendation is that for an 0-2 pitch, if the coach calls something "hard" then miss with that hard pitch just outside of the zone. Surely to goodness the call isn't for something down the middle. If the count calls for what you describe as a "waste pitch," it should be easy enough to miss up, down, inside or outside with the pitch that is called. If the call is for a changeup and your DD disagrees with it, miss in the dirt or in the river inside. That typically results in either a ball being called or a foul ball.

A good strategy for you DD to use is to have a talk with the coach on what her approach has been with hitters. For example, I coached a young lady who made it clear that she was not a "strikeout pitcher." Therefore, we wanted to use up and in and low and away for waste pitches while allowing her to get good use of her drop ball which most often resulted in groundballs to SS. (For righthanded hitters) That communication effort could make a whole lot of difference in your DD establishing report with the new coach.

Hey - Thanks for your response. Sorry that my post wasn't clear. I'm not really sure how to explain it, though. Pitching is called differently by her travel coach, it's more detailed on what he wants, where the HS coach is more vague. I want to help her learn to make the right pitch, based on what the HS coach is calling, in obvious pitchers counts. How does she communicate this to the catcher. What pitches do you guys like to use in those types of situations that she could go to, with as little risk as possible. Of course she doesn't throw 100% strikes, nor does she throw many right down the middle, but she at times has thrown over 85% strikes with her HS team, which seems to me, to be her biggest issue. Too many good pitches, if that makes sense. Her pitches include FB, very solid change, curve, drop. She is almost ready to throw the rise. Her speed is in the low 60s with good movement.

I hope that helps. Thanks again!

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
"Her pitches include FB, very solid change, curve, drop. She is almost ready to throw the rise. Her speed is in the low 60s with good movement."
She should be very successful.
How about a short email. Or "Hey Coach, you gotta minute? Always start with a compliment. Jenny is really excited abut pitching for HS team and she really likes you as a coach, blah blah blah. Just a quick observation. I keep a book, always have, and I notice Jenny giving up too many hits when she is ahead in the count. Then be quiet and let him or her talk. See where it goes.
*** Catchers must understand the idea of a waste pitch. Purposely throwing well outside the zone up or out. If pitcher is ahead 0-2 or 1-2, against a good aggressive hitter, I want the ball 6 plus inches off the plate.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Cannonball laid out a pretty solid strategy. She doesn't have to throw a strike down the middle on every pitch. 0-2 count, coach calls for curve, miss outside by 2 balls. If the batter chases, she gets a K. Coach won't question it. If the batter doesn't chase, and coach says something. Oops my bad. That one got away from me.

What is the coach calling on those counts? Kid needs to take control of her situation and have open communication.

Jul 22, 2015
Hello DFPers!

My daughter is 15yo pitcher. She took a year off back in 2019 and came back successfully for the 2020 high school season. She got the majority of the starts and was 2nd team all conference as a freshman. She has since joined a very competitive travel team and has done great so far this fall season, both in travel and in High School fall ball.

The H.S. coach last year was very inexperienced with the game in general, and the difficulty my daughter had was with pitch calling, especially in pitchers counts (0-2, 1-2) where she gave up hits more often than she should. This year she has a new H.S. coach and it is obvious that there is a similar issue in those same situations. This coach is an improvement with game knowledge as she played in college, but I don't think there is a clear plan when it comes to calling pitches. I've talked to my daughter about making the batters chase on those counts, but for a couple of reasons it seems like she's not comfortable pitching outside of what is called. We have very inexperienced catchers and she thinks she should throw what the coach calls - and there are no calls on the wristband that are waste pitches/chase pitches. She usually has the same catcher catching for her, who will likely be the starter when Spring season comes around, so I was wondering if they should come up with a plan for those situations.

My question is this, what is a good plan? How does it get communicated properly?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! If more info is needed please let me know.

Thanks!
The pitcher is always in control of these situations. Even if the pitch called doesn't match what she wants, she has the ability to decide where she throws the pitch and how much she wants it to miss. It would be best if dd would talk to the coach 1 on 1 about what has worked for her outside HS ball, but even if she doesn't she still has control of where she throws those pitches. Most coaches (especially those unsure about pitch calling) are more open to discussing pitch calling than players realize.

May 1, 2018
I'll just drop my strategy with no context: FB, Curve, Drop, CH
Get ahead, FB/drop inside usually hoping for a foul at least.
Stay ahead - CU for strike, pop up would be nice or something at a level change on the inside.
0-2 or 1-2 .... Way outside FB or curve to chase. See if you can stretch the Ump or the batter to make it a strike. Balls are fine here
2-2 ... if outside pitch wasn't given by ump or chased FB back inside tight.
3-2 Depending on it ump is letting the corners work.... FB outside slightly elevated or drop ball inside.

Basically get ahead on inside pitch, hope for a chase outside, jam back inside after a couple outside pitches.

May 11, 2014
Oklahoma has been or at least were before Rocha(not sure about now) using Perry Husband effective velocity. His book "downright filthy pitching" was what Melissa Lombardi started with. It might be a good read just for your own information.

Jun 11, 2013
You should pitch what is called. Maybe the coach does know something and maybe the coach doesn't but it' s not up to the player to decide. If she disagrees with the coach it's ok at an off time and ask why they are calling something.

Oct 4, 2016
You should pitch what is called. Maybe the coach does know something and maybe the coach doesn't but it' s not up to the player to decide. If she disagrees with the coach it's ok at an off time and ask why they are calling something.
I agree with this up to a point, the point being that there is never a call for a pitch out of the zone. I'm trying to teach my daughter that she can throw the pitch that is called, but that she is in charge of where it goes, depending on the count and other factors. Do you agree with this?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06