Pinch Runner vs. Courtesy runner

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 21, 2009
I know many of the tournament my DD plays in a coach will put a 'courtesy runner' in for the catcher and/or pitcher if they get on base (not just our team, I've seen other teams do that). I've also seen coaches put in 'Pinch Runners' for other (presumably slower) players.

I don't understand the distinction between the two. Isn't the 'courtesy runner' simply a 'pinch runner'?

Thanks for any explanation.

Jun 22, 2008
Under ASA/FED and some other rules sets, the pitcher and catcher are eligible for a courtesy runner if they get on base. The courtesy runner must be someone who has not yet played in the game, and once they run for either the pitcher or the catcher, that is the only position they can run for again. It does not count as a substitution for either the pitcher/catcher or courtesy runner and anyone who has been used as a courtesy runner is still an eligible substitute for any position.

A pinch runner is a straight substitution for both players. Once they have been used as a substitute, they are locked to that position in the batting order.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
But those would be special tournament rules that apply only to that particular tournament.

Straight by-the-book, neither ASA or NSA allow batting the entire roster in their rules. So when a league or tourney adopts the "continuous batting order", they have to come up with all sorts of special rules to cover substitutions and courtesy runners (since there are no "bench" players available).

Jun 24, 2009
But those would be special tournament rules that apply only to that particular tournament.

Straight by-the-book, neither ASA or NSA allow batting the entire roster in their rules. So when a league or tourney adopts the "continuous batting order", they have to come up with all sorts of special rules to cover substitutions and courtesy runners (since there are no "bench" players available).

But what if you only roster 9 ?

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
But what if you only roster 9 ?

Then if playing by standard rules you will not be allowed to have a courtesy runner, because you don't have any bench players. But if playing in a league or tourney that has implemented a "last batted out can be a courtesy runner" rule, then you can.

Jun 24, 2009
Then if playing by standard rules you will not be allowed to have a courtesy runner, because you don't have any bench players. But if playing in a league or tourney that has implemented a "last batted out can be a courtesy runner" rule, then you can.
This is how I have seen it done in the past. Thank for the replies !

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877