Pictures of pitchers feet

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 31, 2011
Jawja
My DD has been called for one IP her entire 4 years of pitching and he said she stepped out of the lanes. This was in 12U and there were no lanes!! ACK!

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
^^^^^^^^^

OK, great start. Not sure I agree, but input is the point of the discussion and point posititve that there are many definitions out there. For the record, I don't claim to be the ultimate knowledge on the rules and interpretations.

However, I just dont see a replant without pivot foot elevation above the plane of the ground as being possible. Just don't see how anyone can replant and push off a second time after a toe drag. Anyone have video of this?

Pitcher starts with both feet on the PP. Prior to or as the pitch is starting, the P slides her pivot foot forward 6"-8" in front of the PP. That is a replant and by definition, a crow hop.

Cat O. had a wide, open delivery. She gets high on the toe of her pivot foot. She would be a foot in front of the PP and all of a sudden, using video, you could notice a rooster-tail spray of dirt coming up from her toe, back toward the PP. It is hard to see without slowing down the video, but many believe she was actually getting a second push as her lead foot was descending. Noted, could not be seen without a video, but it was there. Was she replanting? No idea, but as athletic and strong as some of these pitchers are, I put very little beyond their capabilities.

Oct 19, 2009
^^^^^^^^^

OK, great start. Not sure I agree, but input is the point of the discussion and point posititve that there are many definitions out there. For the record, I don't claim to be the ultimate knowledge on the rules and interpretations.

However, I just dont see a replant without pivot foot elevation above the plane of the ground as being possible. Just don't see how anyone can replant and push off a second time after a toe drag. Anyone have video of this?

They can if that back knee stays bent. I don't have any video, but basically what happens is that instead of pushing off the rubber with the back foot, the pitcher generates momentum from the windup to slide forward on the pivot foot with her rear leg bent. She slides about a foot or so then pushes off straightening the leg.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
My DD has been called for one IP her entire 4 years of pitching and he said she stepped out of the lanes. This was in 12U and there were no lanes!! ACK!

Yes, there are and have been "lanes" for quite a while in all games. Just because you do not see chalk doesn't mean they are not there.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Pitcher starts with both feet on the PP. Prior to or as the pitch is starting, the P slides her pivot foot forward 6"-8" in front of the PP. That is a replant and by definition, a crow hop.

Cat O. had a wide, open delivery. She gets high on the toe of her pivot foot. She would be a foot in front of the PP and all of a sudden, using video, you could notice a rooster-tail spray of dirt coming up from her toe, back toward the PP. It is hard to see without slowing down the video, but many believe she was actually getting a second push as her lead foot was descending. Noted, could not be seen without a video, but it was there. Was she replanting? No idea, but as athletic and strong as some of these pitchers are, I put very little beyond their capabilities.

Never heard the above definition of a crow hop, but this ASA definition appears to prove your point that this can be one (but not the only) way of doing a crow hop.

R/S #40: A CROW HOP is defined as a replant of the pivot foot prior to delivering the pitch. This can be done by (1) sliding the foot in
front, but not in contact with, the pitcher's plate; (2) lifting the pivot foot and stepping forward; or (3) jumping forward from the pitcher`s plate with the pivot foot prior to starting the pitch. Umpires should look at the location of the pivot foot when the hands separate, the start of the pitch. If the pivot foot is off and in front of the pitcher's plate before the hands separate, this would be a crow hop and an illegal pitch should be called.

We have had the fortune of seeing a fair amount of Cat pitching and her giving DD pitching instruction with examples (performing the pitch). I have never noticed what you describe. Video example?

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008

I wish I had video of a high school pitcher I had a couple of times last year. She would drag away from the pitching plate, replant, push again and drag away again. She was leaving a trench in the dirt clear to the edge of the pitching circle and a new hole where she was pushing a 2nd time about 3' in front of the plate. The opposing pitchers would spend most of the warm up time filling in all the trench and hole so they could pitch.

According to the ASA clarification that came out last year, they have taken the stance it is impossible to legally drag and replant. I can assure you this girl was dragging, replanting and pushing again. I was going to make a point of getting video of her this year but she must have been a senior last year because she was not on the team this year.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
I can assure you this girl was dragging, replanting and pushing again.

Well you are #2 saying it is possible, but I sure would like to see some video proof as evidence to the fact.

I would like to see how someone can drag and then reposition the foot quick enough to be able to replant/push off. To me either the mechanics would have to have a hitch to allow enough time for the drag and replant/push off or she is lightning quick with the feet.

Aug 10, 2012
Kansas City Area
Most calls during any game are judgement. The challenge, IMHO, for travel ball is that during tournaments, you do get holes that pitchers must deal with during their delivery and it may appear as an IP. The umpire must take that into account.

I have officiated several sports for a bunch of years and there are a lot of situations that advantage/disadvantage have to be applied too. That's the nature of sports. No one wants an official to call every little thing they see during the game, especially at younger ages, because then the kids don't get a chance to play, and then you, as an official, appear to be over-officious. It is a balancing act.

I believe that an IP should be called when it is obvious to everyone, and that can change depending on the age of the participants. I view it like traveling in basketball. The rule is clear, but if the kids playing are 8, you really don't want to call it too tight. If the players are 12 or older, they have to learn, but you still don't have to call everyone.

SoCal, this is not directed at you personally, I appreciate your time in the discussion.

But an "advantage" is a judgment call. Let's say Sally is illegal in your first game, she is losing to a better team= no advantage. Next game Sally is using the same illegal mechanics and run ruling a weaker team = that could be called an "advantage".

If its illegal it should be called, advantage shouldnt have anything to do with it. When a blue doesn't call it, all he does is kick the can down the road for another blue to deal with. Then when that blue calls it illegal, people go nuts.

Oct 19, 2009
Well you are #2 saying it is possible, but I sure would like to see some video proof as evidence to the fact.

I would like to see how someone can drag and then reposition the foot quick enough to be able to replant/push off. To me either the mechanics would have to have a hitch to allow enough time for the drag and replant/push off or she is lightning quick with the feet.

Go to Youtube and search "illegal pitch replant". There are some videos that show it. Those aren't my kids in the video so I don't feel right re-posting someone else's bad example here on a national forum.

Mar 11, 2013
Jackson, MS

You just answered it. The "hitch" is the answer. When they throw their arms there is a slight pause in the motion at what would be around the "K" position, that I've seen. When their back foot settles for the replant their pitching motion continues.

This would be an example of what I've seen.

dsc09425.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd