Parent coaches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Interestingly enough this situation just presented itself to our league. We have a recent college graduate who did not play in college, but played up to the 18u level and played and umpired in our organization growing up that wants to coach a team this spring. We might have room for her in the 12U division this spring. I was little hesitant at first, but am warming up to the idea. I just sent her an email detailing her responsibilities as a coach such as the skills assessment, practices, games, parent communication(yikes!), and leadership. Not to scare her away but to let her know what is expected. I also said that we would help her out as much as possible if she were given the opportunity. I think if we have these girls that are willing to step, that we should try to find place for her. Maybe the word will get out and others will come.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
It's a fair question to ask that if we say we value female coaches and wish there were more of them, what are we doing about it?

An answer to the fair question (and it is a fair question): I don't see why "we" need to do anything. If more females don't want to step in and coach, that's on them, not "us." I don't value coaches based on gender, I value them on ability, period. I don't wish there were more female coaches, I wish there were more quality coaches at lower levels, coaches who take the time to learn how to coach, even if it's just visiting places like DFP and learning through osmosis.

Disclaimer: This assumes there's not an active bias against any one gender, which should rightfully be squashed if it exists.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I have 4 young ladies that are current college players who help out in the summer as their schedule permits. They are all from top 25 teams withing their respective divisions of play. The hardest thing for them is putting up with how clueless the players on my 18U team are with respect to the level of commitment required to play at a high level. For them having played and currently playing at that level it is very frustrating as they have very high expectations. I often have to rein them in and remind them that a couple of years ago they were not much different.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
So does this mean that there is no Secret Society Of Dads mounting an organized effort to repress the entry of females into coaching softball?

No. But, the male coaches on DFP aren't being entirely honest.

The truth is (and everyone here knows this) softball coaches hang on well past their expiration date. They get hold of a team and they have to be pried away from it with a crowbar. Since most of the coaches are male (again, just because of the numbers), it is difficult for women to get involved.

In basketball, soccer and volleyball, parents have more or less stopped coaching travel teams by HS. (I've never seen a parent coaching a 18U basketball team.) Yet, you go out to the old softball field, and 80% of the 18U teams are coached by Daddies.

Why is this? Why do Softball Daddies hang on so long?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Do you assume a former player is not capable or will party?

If you actually bothered to read my entire post where I made reference to this issue, you would see that I ANTICIPATED that the young ladies would be good coaches. Their actions PROVED otherwise. This was a single-case example specific to these two individuals.

My intended point was that sweeping generalizations don't work. There are good and bad coaches from every background - former players, non-players, parents, non-parents, men, and women. Judge individuals by their actions on the field. Your prejudice against the thousands of dads that are dedicated to helping this sport keep rolling for young girls/ladies across the country is harmful and pathetic.

Just to be clear, OILF, the above statement isn't a statement against all women. It's personal, based on the comments YOU have made and the attitude YOU have displayed regarding this issue. I promise not to allow the attitude you have displayed affect my attitude towards the wonderful women of softball that I interact with on a daily basis to help make this sport awesome for our kids.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
No. But, the male coaches on DFP aren't being entirely honest.

The truth is (and everyone here knows this) softball coaches hang on well past their expiration date. They get hold of a team and they have to be pried away from it with a crowbar. Since most of the coaches are male (again, just because of the numbers), it is difficult for women to get involved.

In basketball, soccer and volleyball, parents have more or less stopped coaching travel teams by HS. (I've never seen a parent coaching a 18U basketball team.) Yet, you go out to the old softball field, and 80% of the 18U teams are coached by Daddies.

Why is this? Why do Softball Daddies hang on so long?

So there is a secret expiration date after which despite their commitment and experience they are no longer able to provide value? Who then is supposed to coach the team? In the absence of a non-parent coach is the team supposed to just fold? If someone is still coaching and their daughter(s) has aged out are they still a Daddy Coach or are they now an acceptable non-parent coach? Most successful organizations go to great lengths to retain experienced leadership. Why do you feel that softball should be different?

Last edited:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
its not a secret date RB, it is very well defined, sounds like dads should get out of coaching immediately after they slide one past the goalie, so 36 weeks before birth is the correct time for dads to give up coaching.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
lol :)

In all seriousness, though, the general consensus between many of the coaches that I've spoken to, is that it takes 10 years for a coach to become a good coach, assuming that they are committed to coaching (rather than prioritizing DD's playing time). Many of the "bad" coaches get out before the 10 years - though some don't, for reasons I've never been able to figure out. I think that many parents, especially the ones who see their daughter through and then continue on, can be excellent coaches. They've seen it all and have great perspective.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06