Parent coaches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
I think it can be a huge advantage for a player to be on a team well coached by coaches with no dd's on the team. I currently assistant coach my dd but that is not by preference, it is by necessity.

Two of the best coaches my dd's played for, (males), recruited former travel players from the org that had gone on to play college sb to come back and help coach the team in the summer. These former players were well received by the players and one in particular helped improve my dd's of play. They could not take on the responsibility and time commitment by themselves but later in life, they may coach "full time".

Another org in my area, (Org run by those dangled adult males), is very actively using players in clinics and with younger teams in an effort to plant the seed of teaching/coaching in these young adults. They are doing everything they can to woo former players to coach. I think it is a brilliant move for the long term health of the org.

The biggest threat to sb in my area is crazy parents who run off good coaches with drama, drama drama. Less coaches are willing to put up with that.

Youth sports is plagued by a lack of knowledgeable, skilled and ethical coaches. We emphasize developing players when really we need to be developing and supporting coaches. The rest will take care of itself.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
We emphasize developing players when really we need to be developing and supporting coaches. The rest will take care of itself.

Good posts.

Question - How do we develop coaches, and who is 'we'? ...

I agree that there are not enough knowledgeable, well-schooled coaches in travel ball. It's the result of the growing demand for coaches (more and more travel teams popping up) and a lack of experienced coaches. The lack of experience comes partly from the fact that once a coach's daughter is gone, those experienced coaches no longer have the time or motivation to keep doing it. Most start-up travel teams are run by coaches whose only experience is rec ball or all-stars. There aren't enough experienced, good coaches to go around. So the hope is that those new coaches work hard to learn and improve.

I believe that coaching knowledge is not easy to find for people who don't know how to look for it. A new coaches don't know how to look for it. I know somebody will say that it's there if you put in the work to find it, but it should be easier and less expensive, IMO.

I had a post a while back that suggested the ASA, as the national governing body, should make the training of grass-roots/travel coaches a major priority, making it easier and less expensive to learn how to run a practice, how to hit, how to throw, how to catch, how to pitch. Spoon feed it.

I think that if softball were more of an international sport that you'd see a different mindset on this issue. In sports like tennis, where the goal is to develop world-class players in a truly international sport, there is a major emphasis on improving the instruction at all levels. But softball has no real international competition. There's no motivation to improve the quality of the game.

Jan 23, 2014
I coached my oldest dd in the beginning of her rec days. No one else volunteered, so I did. I had the benefit of excellent coaches in my playing days so I had decent softball knowledge. It was extremely difficult to juggle coaching just 2 practices a week and 1 game having younger kids. Maybe you all are better men than my husband, but he whines about having to be responsible for them in the bleachers while I am coaching. He can't watch the game and the other kids.(yes my eyes are rolling, and he had 1 less kid to manage then we now do and I go to weekend tournies without his "help") So women may skip out bc of unsupportive husbands. The last year I coached I wasn't going to, but once again no volunteers. I wasn't going to coach bc I was 5 months pregnant when the season started. It was the hottest summer in 80 years, it was horrible, lol. So maybe they don't coach bc they are having babies still. My dd's coaches last spring were female. One make assistant. They were really good. They felt their softball knowledge couldn't keep them successful past 10u(I disagree, they would do well beyond) I think the real reason was they were experiencing mommy guilt. They both had other kids playing come softball or baseball. They rarely saw them play. They wanted to see them play more. Travel softball is a huge time suck for the coaches. I just don't think women are as good at managing the guilt of missing other kids' activities.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I agree that there are not enough knowledgeable, well-schooled coaches in travel ball. It's the result of the growing demand for coaches (more and more travel teams popping up) and a lack of experienced coaches. The lack of experience comes partly from the fact that once a coach's daughter is gone, those experienced coaches no longer have the time or motivation to keep doing it. Most start-up travel teams are run by coaches whose only experience is rec ball or all-stars. There aren't enough experienced, good coaches to go around. So the hope is that those new coaches work hard to learn and improve.

If a parent wants their DD to perform at a high level in travel softball they need to take ownership of the process. Do not leave something this important to unpaid volunteer coaches. If your DD is not taking batting lessons and hitting regularly outside of her regular team practices she is falling behind.

I had a post a while back that suggested the ASA, as the national governing body, should make the training of grass-roots/travel coaches a major priority, making it easier and less expensive to learn how to run a practice, how to hit, how to throw, how to catch, how to pitch. Spoon feed it.

I am not sure how much luck ASA is going to have getting a bunch of unpaid parents to spend even more of their time and money trying to learn how to coach - especially at the younger age groups where most parents have no idea if their DD is going to stick with the sport.

I think that if softball were more of an international sport that you'd see a different mindset on this issue. In sports like tennis, where the goal is to develop world-class players in a truly international sport, there is a major emphasis on improving the instruction at all levels. But softball has no real international competition. There's no motivation to improve the quality of the game.

I am not an expert on tennis, but every tennis coach I know is compensated. The ones who are doing it "for the love of the game" are few and far between.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
First, these threads about Dad's coaching crack me up at first (because all of the bashing) but in reality they really push me to be the best coach I can be...Heaven knows I don't want to show up in a thread whooping my a$$ for "daddy ball" on the DFP :)

Cuz...yeah...DD2 is the #1 pitcher, bats 3rd and she played every position on the field last year...I know...light the torches, grab the pitchforks and sickles and come and take me to the gallows...

Oh...and OILF...your gender bias once again rears it's head...that act gets old. I honestly believe you could make some tremendous contributions to this forum if you would stop posting like the kid who thinks the whole world is unfair and against them...just sayin'...I think you can be bigger than that...case in point, I look forward to reading Amy in AZ's posts...she's a woman and a great asset to this forum...

I get into screaming matches with my wife when I'm making the lineup because I bench my DD2 before anyone else...I'm the head coach...this is really the only argument I'm EVER going to win with her...so I got THAT going for me :)

Our indoor league starts today (Saturday)...DD2 is not the starting pitcher in ANY of the first 8 games. I would never put my DD in the way of the teams' success...my MA is in Organizational Leadership...having my DD play by a different set of "rules" is a sure-fire recipe for disaster in any team or organization...

I am not paid. I am both a board member for my organization and for the stronger of the two travel leagues in my area. My compensation? Nada...and frankly I wouldn't have it any other way. Just paying it forward from my Dad, Coach Caso and Coach Swish...

I would love to hear from parents that have played for both paid\volunteer coaches...what were some of the differences? My High School coach made it to AAA in the Pirates organization and taught ZERO anything...

If I was your DD"s head coach, what would you expect from me? I would love to hear this...

My point made in the other thread was to point out that simply participating in college-level softball does not necessarily grant to the credentials to coach a travel team.

Young women SHOULD coach, but learn the position as an assistant for a number of seasons before taking the reigns as head coach/manager.

First, I say all the time... "When did you ever hear of Jack Nicklaus giving a golf lesson?" Just because you can "do" doesn't mean you can "teach or coach."

I'm certain my 21 year old AC who played TB at a high level for 10 years would agree with that. She's the greatest. We talk technical direction for instruction and she just takes it to the next level. You want to see Jen Schro catching and NECCC combined? Come watch how she works the catchers every Thursday...it' awesomesauce!

I see a distinct learning-curve for first-time college athlete/coaches working with younger players. Many just have to re-learn what the expected skill-set is for a 12u/14u. It takes a few seasons to really understand "the game" at this level - which is a lot different from their recent playing experiences at an 18u Gold or Collegiate level.

I would agree with this as a generalization because that is very accurate to me starting out coaching when I was 22 years old...however my practice was run on Monday night by a 1st team ALL-SEC player and she was simply fabulous with my 11 year olds...she challenged them to the 9's but was spot on for the expected skill set...I told her to push them hard...to give an analogy I feel like she treated my 12U team like a 14U team which was perfect for the context she was given.

I for one, would actually PREFER a former player as a coach over a "Bucket Dad" (which brings its own set of controversy and team drama, especially if DD is also a pitcher; more often than not). But that person should have actual coaching experience at that age-level before taking a team as head coach.

I couldn't agree more...I was the AC when DD2 was 8...the HC was coming back around with DD2 after being an AC with DD1...I learned a ton simply because I had never coached girls or at that age level...I had always coached boys previous to all 3 of my DD's arrivals...

The other scenario that works really well is the ex-Bucket Dad who has stayed-on as coach for an organization long after his DD has aged-out. This shows me a genuine love of the game, and dedication to player development not influenced by his own daughter anymore. "Bucket Dad" may be what got him into coaching, but something else happened to keep him in coaching. Yes, new bucket dad coaches have a lot to learn, but many coach well beyond their own self-interests and do develop into excellent coaches, taking pride providing opportunity for young athletes generations after...

We have 1 coach in our organization who does that...it's a win/win for everyone...

I would love to hear posters like Cannonball, Riseball, Straightleg, et al that have DD's that are successful college players and what their "coach experiences" were as their DD's were coming up...

Lastly, for parents who have DD's that are 12U or under...ask questions of the coaches at tryouts...you bought into the "oh they seemed nice" or "that team won 2 tournaments last year" routine and never looked past the flattery of being offered a TB contract only to find out their DD plays the same position as your DD or what the coaches teach or don't teach is up to par...

Ummm...I gotta tell ya...disclaimer alert...

I'm guilty as any parent for that above paragraph...I should have moved DD1 this past year and I didn't...2 coach DD's on the team...never show at practice but always start, etc...basically every nightmare scenario you guys mention...crap coaching (the technique stuff is actually laughable)...daddy ball...an AC who is "just a Dad" with no experience, etc. My fav...their 1st indoor Game is Sunday...no practice for the past 2 weeks...uggh!

I'm not throwing stones cuz I live in a glass house too...but don't hammer on "parent coaches" as a sweeping generalization...we are not all bad...some of us actually put our soul into this...CP

May 13, 2012
TB in my area is full of independent B level teams and below. Some good orgs that have 3 to 6 teams representing them that range from dang good to sorry. I see coaches from all back grounds that are flat out awful and teach everything that dfp members preach against. I also see coaches from all backgrounds that are dfp poster children. These backgrounds are former, BB, SB, players, bucket dads/moms, non parent coaches etc. I coached a B level team for 5 yrs and learned a lot from both. Some was what not to do and some was wow that is the way to do it. The one thing I found in common with the good coaches was a desire to learn then teach. I had some of the better coaches more than willing to teach me when I asked them "how do you ---". So the way I see it a good coach wants to coach and does the things that will make them a better a coach and has nothing to do with gender or history.

Jun 7, 2013
As a fastpitch coach I would like to say that in spite of my previous complaints about "daddy ball", etc., I still--mostly--have respect and admiration for those parents who step up and coach in order for their DDs and other people's DDs get to play the sport of fastpitch softball. Truly, without parents doing that there would be a lot less fastpitch softball and a lot less girls having that experience.

I've never played fastpitch softball but I've played years of baseball and slow pitch softball. The only thing ultimately new to me was the windmill pitching motion, which I've spent many many hours learning how to teach. So, no doubt, a young woman who has played at the collegiate level has a lot to offer. But, I think, so do I. And I was willing to coach for free!

I don't get caught up in whether the coach is a male or female, both can, potentially, do an excellent job of coaching a fastpitch team. So to me, it's a non-factor. With that said, my older DD has quite often come and helped me coach my younger DDs team with excellent results!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Since the term "daddy ball" keeps popping up in this thread, I would like to point out that batting/fielding/pitching instructors (male or female) who coach a team can be just as guilty when the players who "pay" for private lessons with the coach are suddenly playing more.....

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Today I registered and paid for my ASA background check and ACE certification for 2015, which reminded me of one more thing "parent coaches" pay out of pocket for the privilege of coaching their DD's!

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
Good posts.

Question - How do we develop coaches, and who is 'we'? ...

I believe that coaching knowledge is not easy to find for people who don't know how to look for it. A new coaches don't know how to look for it. I know somebody will say that it's there if you put in the work to find it, but it should be easier and less expensive, IMO.

CB, sorry, just saw this.

I think the "we" depends on your environment. For me, I would like to see our local school district based rec league develop a group of coaches to either coach or help coach the 10's and 12's. In my area, if girls have some success and gain a few skills, many get the bug to try out for travel teams.

I like your idea about ASA or some established organization creating training or a path for coaches to learn and grow. Most coaches that get good at it do it on their own but the learning curve could be shortened. I think there is a pool of people who don't have an athletic background but have the right temperament and drive to coach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy