Obstruction in NSA vs NFHS and how do you call fielders partially blocking bag without ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 23, 2019
I got such an awesome response to my first post that I also wanted to ask about another issue that’s been popping up a lot lately.

Yesterday, I was calling a middle school game that uses NFHS rules and we twice had errant throws take the fielder into the runner’s path at the bag. No obstruction calls made, but coach asked about it on one.

I’m looking at NFHS rule, which reads: “Obstruction is the act of the defensive team member that hinders or impedes a batter's attempt to make contact with a pitched ball or that impedes the progress of a runner or batter-runner who is legally running bases, unless the fielder is in possession of the ball or is making the initial play on a batted ball. The act may be intentional or unintentional, physical or verbal.”

I believe in both cases contact was made as the ball arrived, but prior to defender having possession. My interpretation of the rule is that we should call obstruction on errant throws pulling fielder into the runner’s path.

Contrast that to NSA rule, which begins like NFHS rule until it says, “unless…catching a thrown ball.” Tonight, in NSA league, an errant throw took 1st baseman into runner’s path and resulted in an out. No obstruction called on grounds that throw pulled them there.

So, am I correct in saying that NFHS and NSA should be called a little differently due to the explicit mention of catching the ball in NSA rules? How do you guys that call NFHS treat this play? Does runner right of way supersede a fielder’s right to adjust to a thrown ball?

Other obstruction related question: I’ve been taking notice of fielders remaining in contact with their base when the ball is still in outfield and there’s no chance of a play. By the literal definition of NSA/NFHS rules, any action that impedes the base runner is obstruction when the ball isn’t present, right? So, it’s irrelevant if they’re still allowing the runner a partial path to base. If they’re setup on inside or outside of bag and there’s no eminent play, they’re obstructing, right?

Do you give a little leeway in the case where the center fielder has ball in possession and second baseman sets up on outside corner of bag, leaving inside path for the runner? I see that as a possible grey area but maybe I’m incorrect and overthinking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2015
Sounds like you have a good understanding of the rule. Yes like you said and the rules say, the defense cannot impede, confuse, or hinder the runner without the ball. The defender either has the ball or they dont. If they are trying to catch a wild throw and cause the runner to slow down or change directions to go around the fielder then it is obstruction if they have not yet caught the ball. It is that black and white. They either have it or they dont have the ball. But at the same time remember, the defense getting in the basepath isnt enough to call obstruction, the runner needs to be hinder or impeded. Got to see the whole play and process it.

I am pretty sure the rule of thumb with the defense standing on the base, if they are on the inside corner it is always obstruction as the runner has to take a longer path on the outside. If they are standing on the outside corner, no obstruction unless the runner gets hindered or impeded by the defense like she runs into them. If they are standing on the outside corner and the runner hits the inside corner there shouldnt be any obstruction called unless contact is made.

This is for NFHS rules

May 29, 2015
I don't call NSA, so I am going to shy away from that a little.

You do have a good grasp ... the observation that NFHS does NOT include an errant throw exclusion is one that many veteran umpires still miss. Follow up your reading in the NFHS book with the section on the double first base (safety base) as that will also provide some good information. (Namely, the fielder can use the colored bag on an errant throw, negating the need for a throwing exclusion. The runner should always have a place to go.)

By the letter of the law, ANY obstruction (without the ball) of the bag is a violation. There is no rule that says a fielder can block "X amount/portion" or leave "so much" of the bag available. That said, the question you have to ask yourself is did the fielder cause the runner to do anything different? If not, then you do not have any obstruction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad