Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 1, 2014
I completely respect that. But I would suggest taking video of her for your own use. It can be a very useful tool, even if you don't post it. When you have some video to look at, keep an eye on her front leg and her hands. Does it look like her hands are going back and up while her stride foot is moving forward? If the hands are moving forward as a unit with the rest of the body, it would be an all back / all front pattern. Look at the video below of Ryan Braun to see if you can see the "separation" between his hands and his stride. Some people will refer to this as "walking away from the hands".(NOTE: The gurus will say that you shouldn't watch the front foot when looking for this, and they would be right. But if you are new at this, it may be easier to see that way. Most of the gurus here will tell you to watch the hands in comparison to the rear hip.)

2m7he02.jpg

As far as controlling the movement pattern, you will see a few potential explanations about that. I would suggest doing a search on "forward by coil". Others will say that you need to utilize the core to control the movement pattern. I would prefer to allow the experts explain both versions. In either case, you are trying to control the movement in order to time the pitch. Hopefully that is a little less muddy...

Good stuff - I see this hip coil that cabrera and chamberlin do - seems like cabrera drops his hands and then raises them as he coils his hip forward...do you advocate raising hands up slightly as the weight shifts forward?

Sep 1, 2014
I found this on my search for a "forward by coil"...this seems like it could help my daughter from getting too far in front and maybe add power as well:

"It's not that complicated. Just spread the legs far enough apart that when you put weight on your back foot, your head stays in front of the back foot, or in the center. With the weight on the back foot, move the front hip inward toward the plate a bit, and then simply pick up the front foot, and push off of the back one."

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Your daughter lacks a Forward-by-Coil. Said differently, there is no pull back with the hip and back against/around her rear leg. Her sequence is off because her hands don’t have a sense of keeping balance during the FbC action. By trying to get her to physically bring her hands back, as she moves out, you are making it more difficult for her to find a proper sequence. Learn to FbC … learn about the pull back of the hip and back, against/around the rear leg, and how this causes the movement of the body forward, ... and how this leads to the hands essentially seeking balance, ... remaining back … or moving back/up/in, as a sense of ‘balance’ control during the FbC/pull-back.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Your daughter lacks a Forward-by-Coil. Said differently, there is no pull back with the hip and back against/around her rear leg. Her sequence is off because her hands don’t have a sense of keeping balance during the FbC action. By trying to get her to physically bring her hands back, as she moves out, you are making it more difficult for her to find a proper sequence. Learn to FbC … learn about the pull back of the hip and back, against/around the rear leg, and how this causes the movement of the body forward, ... and how this leads to the hands essentially seeking balance, ... remaining back … or moving back/up/in, as a sense of ‘balance’ control during the FbC/pull-back.

This explains it much better than I could...

Sep 1, 2014

Wow, you figured that out without even seeing video. Just to be clear...the hands should stay where they were at address...the weight loads to the back, then the front hip turns in slightly while ball is in the air and this causes the hands to go back to counter balance the body...the hands should not go back when the weight shifts to the back leg...it just happens naturally when the hip is turned in slightly.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
A drill to get the feel has the hitter standing balanced on only their rear leg initially, holding that position for 1-3secs, and from that position moving smoothly to swing ... this will often have the hitter loading their hands rearward (or in a sense "walking away from their hands"), as they move forward, and can help give the feel of the hands moving back in an effort to remain balanced.

9qi79u.gif

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Starting your 'load' later is not the 'answer' in MHO. The 'load' should always be 'early and slow' to the pitchers movement/motion. The 'unloading' should be dependent on the 'release of the ball. Your DD needs to TIME THE BALL IN AIR. But, not seeing video of the swing I'm just guessing on your DD's problem of being 'out front'.

Wouldn't you always want the load to be early and slow? And minimal? The longer you spend sitting back the less effect the load is going to be.

In my experience, changing the start time allows you to keep the chain of events more intact. IOW, you're always using the same swing, you're just adjusting when it starts. Especially when pitch speeds can vary so much. Keep in mind that a 10 mph difference from 50 to 40 is a 20% difference in speed. If you're using MLB examples 92 to 82 is 10%, and it's rare that you'll find an MLB pitcher throwing consistently at 82, I believe.

Sep 1, 2014
Wow, you figured that out without even seeing video. Just to be clear...the hands should stay where they were at address...the weight loads to the back, then the front hip turns in slightly while ball is in the air and this causes the hands to go back to counter balance the body...the hands should not go back when the weight shifts to the back leg...it just happens naturally when the hip is turned in slightly.

FFS...thanks...do I have it right - what I typed above? Loadweight back..then turn hip inward while ball is approaching batter...I want to get this right

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Wouldn't you always want the load to be early and slow? And minimal? The longer you spend sitting back the less effect the load is going to be.

In my experience, changing the start time allows you to keep the chain of events more intact. IOW, you're always using the same swing, you're just adjusting when it starts. Especially when pitch speeds can vary so much. Keep in mind that a 10 mph difference from 50 to 40 is a 20% difference in speed. If you're using MLB examples 92 to 82 is 10%, and it's rare that you'll find an MLB pitcher throwing consistently at 82, I believe.

I think a hitter needs to start 'loading' when a pitcher starts their movement/moving. A hitter needs to time the ball in air. Possibly if a hitter guesses or waits to long to start their 'load' I feel they may shorting up the loading process and need to rush. This may/ will effect them properly 'loading'. Either way it's 'timing' of the ball in the air.
''Most kids either move out to early and loose the coil or they move out to late and the hands can't wait''.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi