Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Maybe try this...Instead of delaying the time she starts her load, have her slow down the loading process. In practice, have her load early and slowly, and try to wait as long as possible before launching the swing. Load slow and early, launch explosively. If she's a little late to contact, that's fine. Make a small adjustment back the other way.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Starting your 'load' later is not the 'answer' in MHO. The 'load' should always be 'early and slow' to the pitchers movement/motion. The 'unloading' should be dependent on the 'release of the ball. Your DD needs to TIME THE BALL IN AIR. But, not seeing video of the swing I'm just guessing on your DD's problem of being 'out front'.

I agree with rdbass. Without seeing video, it is difficult to do anything but guess, but IMO this is common to an "all back/all forward" pattern. Learning to control the movement pattern will help timing.

Sep 1, 2014
sorry my dd does not want video of her on the internet. But what do you mean by an all back all forward pattern. and how do you control the movement pattern?

Sep 1, 2014
Maybe try this...Instead of delaying the time she starts her load, have her slow down the loading process. In practice, have her load early and slowly, and try to wait as long as possible before launching the swing. Load slow and early, launch explosively. If she's a little late to contact, that's fine. Make a small adjustment back the other way.

I have tried this and i am afraid that this may lead to lunging. When do you have your girls start the loading process? Ball out of glove, top of arc, release of ball?

Jan 25, 2011
I agree with rdbass, it is a relaxed, slow load. I hate sounding like Darrel Waltrip announcing a NASCAR race, but you have to learn to dance with the pitcher.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
sorry my dd does not want video of her on the internet. But what do you mean by an all back all forward pattern. and how do you control the movement pattern?

I completely respect that. But I would suggest taking video of her for your own use. It can be a very useful tool, even if you don't post it. When you have some video to look at, keep an eye on her front leg and her hands. Does it look like her hands are going back and up while her stride foot is moving forward? If the hands are moving forward as a unit with the rest of the body, it would be an all back / all front pattern. Look at the video below of Ryan Braun to see if you can see the "separation" between his hands and his stride. Some people will refer to this as "walking away from the hands".(NOTE: The gurus will say that you shouldn't watch the front foot when looking for this, and they would be right. But if you are new at this, it may be easier to see that way. Most of the gurus here will tell you to watch the hands in comparison to the rear hip.)

2m7he02.jpg

As far as controlling the movement pattern, you will see a few potential explanations about that. I would suggest doing a search on "forward by coil". Others will say that you need to utilize the core to control the movement pattern. I would prefer to allow the experts explain both versions. In either case, you are trying to control the movement in order to time the pitch. Hopefully that is a little less muddy...

Last edited:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
yes i have looked at her swing on video

Good. look at it in slow motion (hopefully the quality is such that it is not blurred too badly), look for her releasing the barrel early so its casts around the outside of the ball. Also look for her upper body getting a big head start on the lower half.

I know it is tempting to assume that pulled balls is just a timing issue, but that is not always the case. I know my older daughter had a case of the pulls recently and as much as I wanted to attribute it to slow pitching (and I did for a little while) and timing, the video revealed that her swing had drifted a lot more than I thought when looking at it in real time. She was bypassing a good stretch and as a result had gotten really armsy. She fixed it when she re-installed a good stretch.

Sep 1, 2014
Good. look at it in slow motion (hopefully the quality is such that it is not blurred too badly), look for her releasing the barrel early so its casts around the outside of the ball. Also look for her upper body getting a big head start on the lower half.

I know it is tempting to assume that pulled balls is just a timing issue, but that is not always the case. I know my older daughter had a case of the pulls recently and as much as I wanted to attribute it to slow pitching (and I did for a little while) and timing, the video revealed that her swing had drifted a lot more than I thought when looking at it in real time. She was bypassing a good stretch and as a result had gotten really armsy. She fixed it when she re-installed a good stretch.

It does not look like the upper body is getting a big head start on lower half. She is coming inside the ball, not outside. But she does seem to be going all back and then all forward.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdwingnut