Our team hates early morning games.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 13, 2010
North Louisiana
Help, looking for ways to energize our 12-U girls on those early morning contests. We truly look like the Walking Dead out there. If you're going to get us, that's your best shot!

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Help, looking for ways to energize our 12-U girls on those early morning contests. We truly look like the Walking Dead out there. If you're going to get us, that's your best shot!

Gas station capachino. Just the small one though. There is a fine line between energetic and annoying.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
What are they doing the night before? For the early morning games, I would think that their schedule should be about the same as for a school day. Maybe some of the parents need to make certain that the girls are asleep and not texting all night. I think that I would come up with some music to pep them up. And, they need to eat breakfast, even if it is just toast and an egg.

Feb 8, 2009
Early Sunday morning games are incentive for finishing higher in pool. Ive heard many a softball mom say " our girls just arent early morning players" . Of course the reply to that is Whose are?

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
have them stretch and run early (ready to work at least 60 min. before 1st pitch)
a little sugar via fruit is not a bad idea either. the coaches need to act positive,
energetic and enthusiastic the team will follow its' leadership.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Eat a healthy meal the night before (pasta). Early to bed. Good breakfast (no sugarary cereal). Do not let them sleep in the car on the way to the tournament. Start your warm ups with stretching and calestinics. Use a speed and agility ladder to get their blood pumping. Then start your normal warm up routine.

Jul 9, 2012
Agree with all the suggestions already given. I just have one to add, might try scheduling some early morning practices. We started doing this with our team, and we went from Saturday morning zombies to Saturday morning at least awake (not sure what is between a zombie and an energizer bunny). Get the kids on the field for a couple of 7 or 8 am practices might help. I wouldn't advise scheduling all your practices this early as some parents might get a little irritated.

Dec 7, 2011
Careful with the caffeine idea. I remember back to my DDs 12U days where one early Sunday morning her and her best bud (our #2 pitcher) were both dead in the van on the way to the field. This incredibly intelligent daddy suggested an energy drink and two Monsters later,......OMG!

We hammered the opposition in games one and two. But in game three they were both drained. I tried using both twice but it was hopeless. We all joke about it now all the time, at my earned expense.....

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
We do something a little different - we do something fun.

With about 20 minutes to go before game time we get the girls together and we have done some of the following:

- wiffle ball game (coaches v kids, kids v kids, etc)
- 'Ninja'
- Water balloon fight (really hot day - that was fun and got everyone moving)
- our 10U team did a stupid dance contest
- leap frog race
etc, etc....

Not all of it worked, but the idea is to get the adrenaline running.

Also it confuses the opposition. The 'What the h*!!! are they doing over there' looks we get are priceless

Oct 18, 2009
Birmingham, Alabama
Agree with all the suggestions already given. I just have one to add, might try scheduling some early morning practices. We started doing this with our team, and we went from Saturday morning zombies to Saturday morning at least awake (not sure what is between a zombie and an energizer bunny). Get the kids on the field for a couple of 7 or 8 am practices might help. I wouldn't advise scheduling all your practices this early as some parents might get a little irritated.

This makes too much sense -- good idea

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes