Other teams allowed in dugout?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2015
Maybe she was someone's sister, or best friend. A lot of these girls, you can't drag them away from the field. I was curious why you would care too so valid question, IMO. That's the thing about posting online - you can't control where the answers go. It's good to accept that in advance.

Apr 26, 2015
We live in Colorado. When DD was younger the rec league she played for partnered for an adopt-a-team with the Sparkler tournament where they would pair a 14U or 16U team with a rec 7-9 year old team. Before the Sparkler started the older girls would actually play on the field with the little girls to help them learn their positions better. We had 2 amazing teams adopt DD's team and a couple girls on DD's team would go watch the older girls play in thier games. Both years the younger girls who came to watch were invited by the coaches into the dugout to sit with the older girls (in games that were not close). DD loved that experience. Learning cheers, seeing how the girls worked together...etc. They even had the little girls walk thru the line after the game. So I'm guessing there is no rule. We still keep in contact with some of those families 3-4 years later. Actually going to watch one girl play later this week.

DD's team had a player who moved out of town come visit recently and she sat in the dugout with them as well.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I was simply curious if it was addressed in the rules. Silly me for asking a rules question in the rules forum. I found it odd and asked about it. Goodness gracious. Seems some folks forgot their Xanax this morning.

You have to understand something about this sort of question. Sometimes its because someone is just curious about an odd situation, that is the case 1% of the time. The remaining 99% of time its someone pissed because they lost and they want to find a way to blame it on the umpires for not seeing the competitive advantage this other team had by having a non participant in the dugout. I mean after all the number of extra cheers that might be used in the game could expand exponentially.

Thank you for pointing out that you are in the 1%

May 17, 2012
Here is another non helpful anwser .....

Some tourneys any adult in the dugout need to display their ASA or sanctioning body ID. They want to make sure anyone in the dugout has had a background check.

I have not really seen it inforced.

I have not seen anyone care about younger players not on the Team.

This. At ASA tournaments we play in you must be rostered or have a background check if you step foot on the field or dugout. Even the scorekeeper.

They inforce this with wristbands so all of the umpires know.

So technically if you are not on the roster or have a background check you can't be in the dugout (or on the field).

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
This. At ASA tournaments we play in you must be rostered or have a background check if you step foot on the field or dugout. Even the scorekeeper.

They inforce this with wristbands so all of the umpires know.

So technically if you are not on the roster or have a background check you can't be in the dugout (or on the field).

Technically, ASA addresses the dugout/team area in rules 1 & 5.12 along with the Rules Supplement 16. All address who and when those in the dugout may leave or position themselves outside of the designated area. Nowhere is there a restriction on whom may be in the dugout (other than adults being credentialed). The only time the word "dugout" is mentioned in the code pertains to coaches' credentials and to reiterate the rule book note that there will be no smoking or alcoholic beverages permitted in the dugout.

May 17, 2012
I was simply referring to our state and how ASA handles that issue. Your mileage may vary. They either are a player on your roster or an adult with a background check. No one else is permitted on the field or in the dugout.

Who inforces that I have no idea. I guess it's not the umpires as MTR points out its not covered in the rule book.

I always assumed it was for insurance reasons.

Jun 10, 2016
First time poster here, 10u rec AC. If you aren't on the roster you aren't in the dugout, plain and simple. Not so much of a safety issue, more of a focus thing. Being rec league we are doing good to keep them focused especially when we are up to bat. They understand no sisters brothers bff's ect. There's really no room anyways. Nothing wrong with a little discipline at that age, and our team does well with it. Biggest problem we deal with is half the team trying to squeeze into the entrance to the on- deck circle, to root on the hitter.

Jun 11, 2013
ross, at 10U rec, we had more of an issue keeping our hitters in the dugout versus going to sit with Mom and Dad. I was looked at like
the meanest coach when I told them they needed to sit in the dugout. As for this team I would guess that it's a former player who moved
up or maybe even moved to a different city and happened to be playing in the same tournament.

Jun 10, 2016
We also have this issue.. It's gotten better over the course of the season, they like to sneak away to mom and dad or the concession stand. Most will ask some will not.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
ross, at 10U rec, we had more of an issue keeping our hitters in the dugout versus going to sit with Mom and Dad. I was looked at like
the meanest coach when I told them they needed to sit in the dugout. As for this team I would guess that it's a former player who moved
up or maybe even moved to a different city and happened to be playing in the same tournament.

Could you imagine the crap I would catch if I came here announcing that as an umpire I forced a coach to remove his non-playing daughter from the dugout. Even more so if that forced the coach to leave the dugout because there was no one else to care for her?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors