Opinions on bat weight

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2009
My DD's bat has seen it's better days.Time to get a new one. Her old bat is a 33/23 she has swung it just over a year. She is 5'7" 140 lbs. plays 14 u. I think 33 is still a good length but what weight do you think she needs? She is a power hitter. Suggestions?

Oct 25, 2009
Many variables here. How is she doing with it? Is she hitting? No pop? What brand is the bat?

Before buying a new one get her to try some of her teammates' bats to see what she likes. If possible test a 34/24. Also test a 33/24.

CF4's are good. Xeno's are good. Experiment a little.

Jun 24, 2009
Many variables here. How is she doing with it? Is she hitting? No pop? What brand is the bat?

Before buying a new one get her to try some of her teammates' bats to see what she likes. If possible test a 34/24. Also test a 33/24.

CF4's are good. Xeno's are good. Experiment a little.

She swings a cf4.Tried a 34/24 thought it swung a little slow although it was not bad.No one on the team has a heavier bat than hers.She can swing my old 34/28 off a tee pretty well.Do you think a 33/25 would be too heavy ?

Oct 25, 2009
She swings a cf4.Tried a 34/24 thought it swung a little slow although it was not bad.No one on the team has a heavier bat than hers.She can swing my old 34/28 off a tee pretty well.Do you think a 33/25 would be too heavy ?

I would probably try the 33/24.

Your 34/28 is good for overweight drills. Have her hit long tee (not into a screen) with the heavy bat followed by the same drill with her normal bat and then do the same thing with an underweight bat. And then do all of that with front toss.

Jun 24, 2009
I would probably try the 33/24.

Your 34/28 is good for overweight drills. Have her hit long tee (not into a screen) with the heavy bat followed by the same drill with her normal bat and then do the same thing with an underweight bat. And then do all of that with front toss.
Thanks for the advice !

May 8, 2009
Florida
JMO here. I am finding the -9 more end loaded, the -8 more balanced. Of course they will vary from different manufactures too. Simply finding the balance point of the bat will give you an idea about the loading. If the 34 is swinging slow it is too much bat. Try dropping to a 33/24. If she likes the end loaded feel and can get it around, she will probably do well with it since she is a power hitter. Too much bat and she will break down in her mechanics. Best way is to be patient in looking, many tournaments have someone selling equipment. See if the have test bats, or at least just swing them. Hard to try her teammates bats if hers is already the heaviest.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Try the Insane. 33-24. Best of both worlds. Many of my students have went to that bat. Most use to have RT's. They love the large sweet spot.

Do they make a -9 Insane? I've seen the new CF5 -11, -10, -9, -8, and Insane -10, but not a -9 Insane. Is it just hard to find? I'm looking at getting a new CF5 so, before I buy one I'd like to know all the options. Thanks.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Someone posted on here a few weeks ago that louisville slugger has a bat demo program. At least you can try before you buy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207