Opinion

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
You seem to think I'm questioning the numbers. I'm not. As a HS junior I ran a 4.55 40, so 5.28 at 14 isn't impossible, just really dang fast. What I'm saying is that you find out if the times are good and DD is fast by 1) asking at the tryouts, and 2) Google.

Posting in here looks like you're fishing for a compliment, which to me means this post belongs in the Parent Brag forum. We have one. Either way, I'd say your DD has speed to burn!

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Sometimes the times are real.
There is a guy who occasionally posts on DFP who has a DD in the same HS as my kids. He mentioned her 100m time in a PM once, and I couldn't believe it. My DD 1 had been the fastest runner for her HS softball program as a freshman, some coaches told me DD 1 was the fastest girl they had ever coached and was possibly D-1 fast, but this time not only smoked DD 1's 8th grade time but smoked DS' 8th grade time.
So I looked up the time in the paper. It was real.
I talked to some other softball parents about that guy's DD. She really is that fast. Base stealing machine.

I would guess OP's DD is a slapper. That speed will attract D-1 coaches if she can slap and field as well as she can run.

Jun 29, 2013
My DD wqas timed at 3.1 home to first at 13, and that was as fast as anyone at the tryout she was at. I've heard of a few under 3, so your DD is among the elite. Congrats to her!

Jan 28, 2016
BuckeyeGuy thanks for your input .Im new to this forum .I can see now why I should have posted it in the Parent Forum.Thanks everyone for your replies

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Something does not seem quite right. Given the time for the H-1 the time for the 40 seems slow. To Buckeye Guys point the 40 time is about average for at 300# lineman but just do not see them cranking out a sub 3 H-1.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2015
slapper 2020,
I'm glad you posted this thread. And congrats to your DD!
I believe you 100%
Give me a concrete number, and then I know how she compares to other girls in her age bracket.

Someone saying their "DD is fast as heck", or that "she can crush the ball", is meaningless if there isn't a number to quantify it.
"Fast as Heck, and "crush the ball", are so unbelievably subjective, it's unreal.

Boys sports are measured with numbers, why aren't girls sports?

The number of stolen bases someone's DD has is good starting indicator as to how quick your DD is. But is she barely beating the tag as she slides into 2nd base, or is she standing up as the ball comes in?
A timed run, such as the laser timed home to first time you gave us, gives the reader or a interested coach a concrete number to go off of.

riseball, this is the best example I could give you on home to 1st base time, compared to 40 yard time... Quickness vs. top end speed, or the combination of both...
I'll use a car or drag racing comparison.
One of my younger DDs used to run in Hershey's track a couple of years back, when was 11-12 years old.
She made it to the State finals in the 100m twice, in the 11-12 YO bracket.
In the 100 m dash as an 11 YO, at around the 25-30 m mark she lead the field by probably 10-12 ft or so. But by the finish line she finished in 8th place.
As a 12 YO, she lead the field by the same margin at ~ 25m, and ended up in 4th place.
Her out of the hole quickness is very quick, it seems like she's going wide open after 3-4 steps. But since she was shorter than everyone else, their top end speed over took her.
So, my DDs launch speed was very quick, but her top end speed was limited by her shorter legs.
Now that she almost 14, and is 5" taller at 5'5", thankfully the low end, out of the hole speed is still there, but the top end speed is much greater than it used to be. She just "keeps pulling on the top end". Like the girls that beat her in the 100m finals.

Thanks again, slapper2020!

Hard to know what her age is based on her grad year.

I take all times with a grain of salt as there are so many different ways to time things.

If she got those scores with me timing her, she'd be pretty darn fast. Probably #2 or #3 on my team. My girls are 13 year olds.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877