Opinion on Tryouts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
No idea what n= 1 is but I firmly believe that everything on a team points to the top

A coach should pick players that best suits their team, their ability to coach, and their ability to manage

I see it all the time when a "coach" grabs up a powerful player because they're good, but has nothing to bring to the table regarding player development. Organizations are the worst for this. They put the organization at the top while doing a major disservice to the player. Another is these "coaching" facilities that hire former players and pitch them as great teachers because they were a middle infielder at Ohio military state junior college.

This is a skill game based on fundamentals. I see great 18 yo players in fastpitch and baseball that can't throw properly. Theyve been used up and never taught
A former D-1 player is not necessarily a good coach. Some of these former college players have the personality of a box of rocks. Good coaching is communicating, teaching, encouraging, confidence building, and much more. It is not screaming "Fix it ladies or we will just do burpees for the rest of practice!"

May 23, 2015
That looks like a mixed message

Its not a mixed message its simple. A real coach builds a team based on their strengths and weaknesses as a coach. You build your roster accordingly. If I pick a player I truly believe I'll make that player exponentially better. I know my capabilities

If along the way I fail or were not making progress ill make a change. If I have tryouts I would never ask current players to tryout. Thats a power trip and lazy coaching. I don't operate that way. Thats MY team. Were in this together.

If I have to make a change or they leave so be it. A team is the direct reflection of the coach. If the coach is trash you know what you'll get on the field

A former D-1 player is not necessarily a good coach. Some of these former college players have the personality of a box of rocks. Good coaching is communicating, teaching, encouraging, confidence building, and much more. It is not screaming "Fix it ladies or we will just do burpees for the rest of practice!"
Correct Xs 10

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Its not a mixed message its simple. A real coach builds a team based on their strengths and weaknesses as a coach. You build your roster accordingly. If I pick a player I truly believe I'll make that player exponentially better. I know my capabilities

If along the way I fail or were not making progress ill make a change. If I have tryouts I would never ask current players to tryout. Thats a power trip and lazy coaching. I don't operate that way. Thats MY team. Were in this together.

If I have to make a change or they leave so be it. A team is the direct reflection of the coach. If the coach is trash you know what you'll get on the field

Correct Xs 10
You talk about yourself as a coach.
What does the player have to do?
GROW by putting the work in!
The player has responsibilities!

May 23, 2015
You talk about yourself as a coach.
What does the played have to do?
GROW by putting the work in!
You keep repeating yourself. I'm repeating myself

I will not coach a player who doesn't work as hard as me. I lay the ground work from the jump. I do not do projects. I have baseball and softball players that I coached their parents. I know what I'm getting.

I do not coach for pay, pride, or notoriety only for fun. When i have tryouts my team is snagging balls and setting up

radness

Dec 13, 2019
You keep repeating yourself. I'm repeating myself

I will not coach a player who doesn't work as hard as me. I lay the ground work from the jump. I do not do projects. I have baseball and softball players that I coached their parents. I know what I'm getting.

I do not coach for pay, pride, or notoriety only for fun. When i have tryouts my team is snagging balls and setting up
You keep avoiding the point, recognizing that players have a responsibility. That's why I repeated myself. You repeated talking about what you will do as a coach and who you will tolerate working with or not.
Never asked what you do
Talking about the players! ;)

May 23, 2015
You keep avoiding the point, recognizing that players have a responsibility. That's why I repeated myself. You repeated talking about what you will do as a coach and who you will tolerate working with or not.
Never asked what you do
Talking about the players! ;)
Responsibility to whom?

This thread is about tryouts. It's lazy and a power trip for a coach to have their team tryout for a team theyre already on. The idiot coach built the team

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Responsibility to whom?

This thread is about tryouts. It's lazy and a power trip for a coach to have their team tryout for a team theyre already on. The idiot coach built the team
Hard question for you to answer?

Yes be ready for the next tryout by being
responsible for individual growth!

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Starting to see why your players get blamed
Haaahhhaaaaaa lol
Since you dont know me,
Nahh not my style!

Its called accountability to be responsible!
Achievement belongs to the player.

Acknowledge and credit the players for their development.
They put the work in.
Many put in more work outside of the team. Also have outside instruction.

There are responsibilities for all involved!
imo The player has the most!

Last edited:
May 23, 2015
The way you speak of developing players you sound like you're a coach who takes credit for the players development instead of recognizing to credit the players for their development.
They put the work in.
Nope I assume you can check every post I've made for the past several years. See what you find out. I develop players. I dont call pitches and I have players fend for themselves. I make fun of trophy coaches and ridiculous national team. I cant ever recall being in a team picture. I never go in the team huddle or call outs. Aint about me

My team. My players. My goals. My directives. My training. Your fault? Nah thats weakness. Im a team guy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi