Opinion on Tryouts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 23, 2015
If you look at the big national multi state teams they rarely practice together.
Theyre a scourge on the game and I would never try to emulate them. I would never let my child play for one of those teams. Team sports are not about the individuals. There are teams that have grown to that level organically, but they're pretty rare

May 23, 2015
What about player responsibility?
That's a deflection and excuse.

The coach brings them onto a team for a specific reason. A real coach does that based on potential. A mix of their coaching ability and the players ability. If a coach is doing their job and the players not responding. Move on now. Same is true the other way around. Most often than not a player buy into poor coaching and keep hanging around

Just like in business. Theres no such thing as a bad employee, just bad managers hiring that employee.

I will not under any circumstances coach someone that I can't work with. It's a waste of time

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
That's a deflection and excuse.

The coach brings them onto a team for a specific reason. A real coach does that based on potential. A mix of their coaching ability and the players ability. If a coach is doing their job and the players not responding. Move on now. Same is true the other way around. Most often than not a player buy into poor coaching and keep hanging around

Just like in business. Theres no such thing as a bad employee, just bad managers hiring that employee.

I will not under any circumstances coach someone that I can't work with. It's a waste of time
That looks like a mixed message?
You started with thats a deflection and excuse.
Then comment its a mix of coach and player. Then say if coach is doing their job and player isnt, move on.
SO the player does then have responsibilty right ?!

As far a businesses and employee's heck yes there are bad employers and employee's!

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
What about player responsibility?
Of course players have responsibilities. And parents and coaches too! Many teams practice only once a week. You can't become elite or even very good practicing once a week, so the coaches have the responsibility to communicate, encourage and insist their players put in some work throughout the week. And likewise the parents and players have the responsibility to follow thru with the coaches demand and put in the work. If Jenny would rather hang out with friends and play tic toc or God forbid she gets a boyfriend and the parents allow this behavior she will have a short career. Coach may keep her around to ride the pine and pay the due$ until she finally quits.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
Of course players have responsibilities. And parents and coaches too! Many teams practice only once a week. You can't become elite or even very good practicing once a week, so the coaches have the responsibility to communicate, encourage and insist their players put in some work throughout the week. And likewise the parents and players have the responsibility to follow thru with the coaches demand and put in the work. If Jenny would rather hang out with friends and play tic toc or God forbid she gets a boyfriend and the parents allow this behavior she will have a short career. Coach may keep her around to ride the pine and pay the due$ until she finally quits.
Jenny still might be able to play for the Hittin' Kittens...just saying...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi