One sport or multiple sports?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I've known plenty of kids who played multiple sports and benefited from it. They were also starters.

One of the best examples is a girl who played for me one summer who went to a local Catholic HS with rigorous academic standards. In spite of that she played tennis, basketball and softball and was a standout in all three. She went downstate in tennis, and was the shortstop on the softball team.

I've worked with a couple of cheerleaders. Their softball games definitely benefited from the core strength and agility they developed from all that tumbling. One, who I also coached on teams, was a righty I converted to lefty. She was a two-year varsity starter and leadoff hitter. She would have been at least a three-year varsity starter if her school's varsity coach hadn't been another of those baseball converts who doesn't understand the value of the speed game in softball. Took him a couple of years to figure out not everyone on the team has to be able to hit the ball to the fence to have value. His teams started doing better once he got on board with the speed game. Not just with my player but a couple of others too who initially were overlooked.

I've worked with girls who were successful softball players who also played other sports in HS, and I know of others. Including pitchers. Perhaps that's because I live in the North, where you can't play outdoors all years. That gives the kids the time to do other things. What I do see is volleyball demanding kids specialize early around here. They're given no time to do anything else if they want to compete on top teams.

One of the US Olympic softball gold medalists (I think it was Jennifer Brundage but am not sure on that) was a high-level soccer player with multiple D1 scholarship offers who also played softball for a break. Then she burned out on soccer because it became too intense and decided to pursue softball in college instead. Didn't seem to hurt whoever it was any.

Best example for me, though, was my son Eric. His main passion was soccer, and he played high-level travel there. He was going to pursue in college until he decided to go into athletic training and was told by his counselor the time he would have to put in in the training room would prevent him from being able to play. Anyway, he was always a good soccer player, but despite being one of the bigger kids out there he was a little soft. By that I mean he'd tend to avoid much contact. Then he got into wrestling. After a season of that he developed a new-found toughness. From that point on he rarely lost a 50-50 ball (one where both players are going for the ball) and it was nearly impossible for opponents to get a shot off when he was defending them. Nothing that happens on a soccer field is as rough as what happens on a wrestling mat. He also tended to be the guy the team counted on to keep the other team from getting too rough. Not exactly like a hockey enforcer, but he made it clear he could win the physical matchups.

Jun 7, 2013
Both my DDs, 16 & 14, have played softball on the school team since seventh grade and tennis for the school team as well. This year my oldest DD decided that she wants to not go out for tennis and focus on softball. My youngest DD is following her lead. Both my DDs pitch and I totally believe what I've heard that if you pitch and play softball you are actually playing two sports. So, I guess, we'll see what happens.

Feb 7, 2013
So a few years ago DD attended the UCLA softball camp. Coach Inouye-Perez said she likes multiple sport athletes and encouraged all of the campers to play two sports. She then went around the room and asked all of the camp instructors (current and former D1 players) if they played more than 1 sport in high school. 90% of them played at least 2 sports and several played 3 or more sports.

The real question is did playing multiple sports help these players be D1 players or are they talented athletes who were encouraged by their high school coaches to play multiple sports for their high school. My guess is the latter. I'm sure Coach I would take a 1 sport pitcher that threw 68mph with a wicked riseball every day of the week.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
So a few years ago DD attended the UCLA softball camp. Coach Inouye-Perez said she likes multiple sport athletes and encouraged all of the campers to play two sports. She then went around the room and asked all of the camp instructors (current and former D1 players) if they played more than 1 sport in high school. 90% of them played at least 2 sports and several played 3 or more sports.

I don't like her advice, IMHO. ...

Now, I do understand how she likes multi-sport athletes. I'd like them too. It's a sign of broader athleticism.

But let's say I'm one of her campers who plays softball only. Should I really play another sport just because it helps with softball? Just because a coach might be impressed by it? Those aren't the reasons to play another sport. You play another sport because you like the other sport, not because of cross-training and ''that looks good on the resume'' reasons. I'd rather my daughter join the chess club - if she really loves chess - than to play volleyball just because UCLA's coach would think more highly of her if she did.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I don't like her advice, IMHO. ...

Now, I do understand how she likes multi-sport athletes. I'd like them too. It's a sign of broader athleticism.

But let's say I'm one of her campers who plays softball only. Should I really play another sport just because it helps with softball? Just because a coach might be impressed by it? Those aren't the reasons to play another sport. You play another sport because you like the other sport, not because of cross-training and ''that looks good on the resume'' reasons. I'd rather my daughter join the chess club - if she really loves chess - than to play volleyball just because UCLA's coach would think more highly of her if she did.

I would add that basketball coaches tend to like tall kids and football coaches like fast kids. But being tall or fast does not make you a player. They are common traits, nothing more. FWIW - It seems that most on this multi-sport bandwagon are from places where they can't or won't play softball year round.

Unfortunately what is missing from the comment by the UCLA coach is context. Does she really prefer multi-sport athletes over committed 1 sport athletes who go at it year round? Or does she prefer prefer multi-sport athletes over 1 sport athletes who spend 4-6 months during the cold weather playing video games and eating cupcakes?

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
Cftff cgfcgggggggg g. , Ingham gig g. Xxx u
IMG][IMG]

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
This is absolutely true. I couldn't agree more completely!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877