One girl - 3 teams

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 3, 2010
March, 2010 my 14 yr old dd is clocked at 62 mph. She is 95% heat, 5% change up. She plays U14.

April she is selected to an academicly elite high school to start her freshman year Sept, 2010.

August, 2010 my daughter was selected to play on a U18 Gold team a good organization and we like the management. However they do 4 fall weekend tournaments out of state 2 in Sept, 2 in Oct. My wife and I decide academics first. We will not let her blow off 4 weekends with the academic load she'll carry. Thus, she can do her final year at U14 and move up next year. We inform U18 team. They can't fault us for academics. She will practice U18, play U14.

U14 team qualified for nationals 13 families planning their summer.

Jan, 2011 my daughter recommended to a new U18 Gold team with a well connected head coach. Can't hurt to meet him. The new team is name dropping top names in college softball. We go, she pitches, he doesn't want to see her fastball. Clocks her drop at 57, curve at 54, rise at 56, and change at 37. 10 weeks ago she didn't even throw any of those pitches except the change. She's 5'11" tall. Hasn't even pitched in HS yet. After practice he says, "We'd love to have her." and "I can do a lot for her."

Suddenly I feel like I'm about to set my daughter back by not letting her step up to one of these U18 teams, both of whom say she is wasting her time at U14. On the other hand, how do you tell 13 families they'll have to carry on at nationals - a little shorthanded.

So I'm curious what others would do?
A) Stay U14.
B) Go U18 with team one (Verbally agreed)
C) Go U18 with the name droppers.

BTW- head to head B would beat C - 9/10 times.
My daughter wants to play for B now.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I keep my word to the team that she committed to and stress her academics. If she is as good as you say she is, she will be seen at 14U. She will just have to contact the coaches with her schedule, herself.

But, if she doesn't have the grade point average for a top university, or if she gets an overuse injury, she won't be playing ball anyway.

Jan 31, 2011
I agree with Amy. Stick to your commitment and have a great time at nationals! Last year the 14U ASA "A" Nationals were in Moline, IL (about 1/2 hour drive for me). Saw some good games, also saw Lisa Fernandez. Plenty of other scouts as well. Go with the gold first team you talked to, sounds like a great opportunity. Nothing like the stress of being a softball parent.

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
I agree with Amy too. With that kind of talent you aren't going to hurt her chances for a major college. Let her experience the thrill of nationals with her team/friends she has now. It will be a life time of memories for her. Also remember, you and your family are truly the only ones that have her best interest in mind, regardless of what other coaches elite or not may say.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
You gotta let her play 14U this year. Enjoy being a kid. She is only a freshman. Let her go 18 Gold in the fall and play the exposure circuit then. The college scouts aren't going anywhere. If she is as good as advertised, you will not lose anything by waiting. Keep the GPA up and work on the other pitches. Sounds like she has a bright future in the game, if she chooses.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I've got to to disagree with everyone else.

Your DD needs to have more input into the decision making process. You need to carefully explain the options to her, both the positives and the negatives, and let her decide.

Could she make the wrong selection? Of course. Could she make a decision you disagree with? Of course.

If she is as good as you say, then there isn't much point in her playing for a 14U team. She'll strike everyone out, the team will win a bunch of games, then she'll go to nationals and get pounded by some California team.

She needs to get on a team where she has to work and compete to get playing time. Given the way you are talking, it sounds like your DD doesn't need to do anything other than show up for the 14U team and she gets to pitch. That will make her lazy.

Honestly, 14U isn't close to the same competition level as 18U Gold. It is a whole different game.

On the other hand, how do you tell 13 families they'll have to carry on at nationals

Geez...it is not exactly a national catastrophe for your DD not to play for the team. Honestly, your DD is just a player. They'll survive. The world isn't going to come to an end because your DD doesn't play for them.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2011
Vienna, VA
I will continue the pile on. It sounds like she'll still have plenty of other opportunities at the next level after playing 14U this summer.

Jun 22, 2008
14u to 18 gold is a big jump in talent and ability of players. Your daughter sounds like she can throw pretty good, but, the 18 hitters are likely to light her up a lot more than anyone at 14. Take into consideration how that might affect her confidence, especially while she is trying to develop new pitches.

Also, 18 year olds are into a lot of different things than your typical 14 year old. Do you want her exposed to that kind of environment on a weekly basis at this point in her life? Let her be 14 and finish up with her current team, plenty of time to play 18 gold in the future.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
She has only been throwing her movement pitches for 10 weeks. No matter how good she is, that is not long enough for her to be effective at 18U.

She wants to gain experience in the circle and you are probably assured that she will gain that at 14U. You are not assured that she will see much time at 18U.

I wonder if you are in Southern CA.? Because, your story about a name dropper, is something that I hear quite frequently.

Feb 11, 2011
Pretty anguishing dilemma, but a nice problem to have!

Just based on what I'm hearing, I'd have to fall on the side of Amy and others. She can still get good exposure at 14. Also - there is an element of risk that she could be overshadowed at 18U.

However - the biggest factor in my mind is the lesson you're giving her. Sounds like together you've set a priority on academics. Also, if you've made an agreement with the 14U team, it may send a mixed message to back out. I'm certainly not saying that a decision can't, or shouldn't be changed. Sounds like you're raising a great player, student, and person. Good luck wherever she plays the season.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texas Red