On the river

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
As to the black on the plates, yes it is there. My point was that it has absolutely nothing to do with the strike zone.

Agreed. We use it as a target more than anything else. The less white the ball touches the better. Too much white and it is likely to go in the opposite direction for a couple hundred feet.

Most times when DD is hitting her spots she gets the call. It's a good day anytime we can stretch the zone out.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
Black, white, grey or anything else the strike zone is where the umpire wants to call it that day ;)

And yes us oldschoolers still say in/on the river.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
As to the black on the plates, yes it is there. My point was that it has absolutely nothing to do with the strike zone.

Well yeah, it sort of does. From ASA Clinic Guide

Home Plate:
a) If a pitch crosses over the black portion of the plate, it is assumed the pitch crossed over the white portion.
b) If the catcher is touching the black portion of the plate on a force out, it is considered to be also touching the
white portion.
c) If a runner touches the black portion of the plate, it is considered they also touched the white portion.
d) (Slow Pitch) If the ball touches the black portion of the plate, it is considered to have also touched the white portion.

Mar 26, 2013
Well yeah, it sort of does. From ASA Clinic Guide...
I can see the practical aspect of this if a runner's foot snags on the black edge while sliding and saw a justification for d). It's also more straightforward to make it all cases rather than just some exceptions. Why was this not codified in the playing rules?

Does anyone happen to know the NFHS and/or NCAA stance on this?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Well yeah, it sort of does. From ASA Clinic Guide

Home Plate:
a) If a pitch crosses over the black portion of the plate, it is assumed the pitch crossed over the white portion.
b) If the catcher is touching the black portion of the plate on a force out, it is considered to be also touching the
white portion.
c) If a runner touches the black portion of the plate, it is considered they also touched the white portion.
d) (Slow Pitch) If the ball touches the black portion of the plate, it is considered to have also touched the white portion.

Call BS on this. Show me it in the official rule book. Not from the how to be an umpire coloring book. To suggest that this is true would mean that there is no true strike zone it is up to the whim of the umpire and the company who made the base....Disregard. Now all of a sudden umpire behavior makes sense.

Last edited:

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Call BS on this. Show me it in the official rule book. Not from the how to be an umpire coloring book. To suggest that this is true would mean that there is no true strike zone it is up to the whim of the umpire and the company who made the base....Disregard. Now all of a sudden umpire behavior makes sense.

Yeah, I made it up just to impress some idiot. To start, you are not impressive and secondly, I don't need to impress anyone. You made a comment, I showed it was inaccurate and you cannot help, but to defend your stance with disparaging remarks about the people to whom's level you will never be able to reach. Merry Christmas

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi