Ok, I'm a bad parent...again

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Our catcher has worn contacts for years. Really no more of a problem than non contact wearing kids getting dirt in their eyes.

Mar 18, 2013
Both my dds wear contacts, including the catcher. So far we haven't had any unusual problems with dirt or dust. In a couple of instances we have had to break out the eyedrops but I think that would have been the case with or without the contacts. For a while they took an extra pair of contacts with them...just in case...but never needed to use them.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
I wear contacts - I have noticed that when I get my prescription changed, even a tiny bit, or even just change brands of lenses, my tennis game suffers. I see the ball differently, so it takes me a practice session or two to get my timing down again. Colorado is VERY windy and dusty - usually if I just squint during a wind gust, and then blink, I'm fine. Sometimes a lens will get blown out of place and then I'll have to blink it back into place.

Single wear lenses are pricey but you could get a pack or two just to keep on hand for true disasters - then you'll at least have a nice moisturized, sterile set to go to in case her lenses get completely dusted out. A ziploc bag with damp paper towels, or a damp lint free rag would would be handy so your DD can wipe off her hands before she puts in new lenses. We've been at fields with absolutley no facilities whatsoever, just a "shudder" port-a-potty.

And BTW - you're not a bad parent! I know you were 'mostly' kidding in your title - but I've been there for sure :)

Jan 26, 2012
A, A
DD went through this last year. She keeps an "extra kit" in her bag. Unopened extra pair of contacts, contact holder and solution, in a small inexpensive makeup bag. I also got her glasses and sunglasses for the times that the contacts have irritated her eyes.

Apr 1, 2010
Thank you all! Yay to contacts!

By her memory: 3 triples, 2 doubles, 4 singles, 2 ground outs, 1 deep fly out. No walks, no strikeouts.
By my memory: 3 triples, 1 double, 4 singles (1 w/second added on throw to hold runner at third), one ROE, 2 ground outs, 1 deep fly out. No walks, no strikeouts. (She did take some balls and strikes.)

Either way, it was still a good weekend for her and she made the all tournament team too. (Sadly, her team got knocked out early so none of the girls got to play as much as they had hoped to.) I had thought she was doing fine before, but now that the ball isn't fuzzy, it really set her free. I'm sad that I didn't get her to the eye doctor sooner. I was wrong to put it off.

Behind the dish, she was framing and blocking well and most teams didn't try to run on her, but one team did and I remember that she threw one out and hit the other with the throwdown. Wind was blowing hard and kicking up a lot of dust. She had to use the eyedrops twice on Saturday (once when a bat was thrown down in front of her and kicked up dirt in her face) and once on Sunday. That seems manageable. She hasn't yet had a close play at the plate with a runner sliding into her with the contacts. We'll have to see how that goes when it happens.

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
....I guess fp mom already said that. Those hot dry dusty June and July days wreak havoc on lenses.

Apr 1, 2010
Hi, Ken. Congratulations!!!

Yes, we were there. The girls were playing in 12U though, rather than up in 14U. Did fine on Saturday (2-1), came in second in their pool (to the Mud Turtles who cruised through the tournament and won it all. The Turtles went 6-0 for the tourney with 55 runs scored, 1 run scored against.). Am I wrong wondering what they're still doing in B? If it were me, I'd want more of a challenge than that. JMO.

Sunday was one of those days when the girls just seemed to start off lost in a fog, sleepwalking around the field. Lost the first game against the lower seed by making tons of errors, dropped into the loser's bracket and then lost again. Buh-bye. Just one of those days... :-(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes