Odd 6U scenario

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 15, 2014
Our local rec league had a strange situation in a 6U game last Saturday that I could not easily find the answer to:

Runner on 2nd, no outs. Pop fly is miraculously caught by 3B, who then runs to 3rd and stands on bag. Runner fails to tag up and runs to third. Both players occupy 3rd for a moment, but no tag is made. Runner then retreats to back to 2nd. Is she out by virtue of both players occupying the bag, or does the runner have to physically be tagged to be out? Just curious, thanks.

Nov 18, 2015
Curious how the runner got to 2B? Does your league allow extra bases at the 6U level on overthrows, or just hits that make it to the OF?

I would say she's safe - the 3B bag has no role in this scenario - it's the bag she started from that would have to be touched by the fielder.

May 16, 2016
If she returned to 2nd before either being tagged, or 2nd base being touched by player with ball, she is SAFE. The interesting question would be, if she was tagged while touching 3rd base, is she still out? I think in that case she is safe while touching 3rd, but still has to return to 2nd before the ball.

Reminds me of solo triple play my DD#2 pulled of in off 6u. DD#2 playing 3rd. Runner on 2nd and 3rd, no outs. Fly ball which DD catches, out 1, she turns and quickly runs over and steps on 3rd for out #2, then charges down the baseline and tags the blissfully unaware runner advancing from 2nd, out #3.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
If she was not tagged, or 2B not touched by a fielder with the ball before the runner returned to 2B, she is safe at 2B.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dionrod67