NSA Florida 275#/.52 COR Ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2013
Safer in that a close distance impact may cause slightly less damage with the understanding that having balls that bounce significantly more will probably cause a much higher number of impacts overall.

We saw an out sized # of errors in the tourney since the girls are used to staying down on the ball and these are bouncing up into the body and face.

Sep 21, 2010
corinth,tx
we used them in sp they are horrible!!! they are supposed to come of the bat at the same speed and being a pitcher i still got drilled a time or two. they die when hit in the air they have limited flight and they get super soft after 1 inning of slowpitch. the stonger guys can still launch them but it takes away from the smaller guys even with the nice new bats. i dont think they would be much safer to a pitcher or corner infielder if a girls got ahold of one it will still hurt.

Oct 19, 2009
OK if all associations adopt this ball, do the bat manufactures now adjust the bats to hit this new ball 98 MPH?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Older thread but we just got back from a NSA tournament and I am going to tell you we wont be playing NSA anymore.

This ball is awful. Not only does it come off the bat slow, it also dies in the air. We played our outfield in the dirt for all but the biggest hitters where we were 2-3 steps into the outfield. There were only 4 hits over our outfielders heads in 8 games. Line drives were not hits because the outfield was close enough for it to be in the air and the exit speed even on line drives was much slower giving the shallow outfielders at least another step or two to get to the ball. Anything flyballish was easily caught as it just goes nowhere.

As our outfield was so close, we moved out infield way up. Our RF was basically playing deep 2B and got quite a few players out at 1st on hard hit grounders she fielded on what were plays our 2B would normally be in position for. For a couple of batters our CF was 2 steps behind 2 base. By game two all the coaches had figured it out and everyone was doing this. It is also harder to play small ball because the infield is 'in' basically all the time even in non-bunting situations.

It isn't any safer as everyone fielded so much closer and the ball is still just as hard on the outside. And at younger ages you will never develop outfielders because the ball gets out to the outfield even less than it does now. The 8U division was at the same park and all the teams were playing what was 9 infielders.

We adapted for the weekend but wont bother doing so again. There has to be some sort of middle ground because this change is not good and poorly thought out.

Jul 10, 2012
All I have to is Ditto! We played in Washington NSA state this weekend. Every game we were saying that the balls sounded mushy coming off the bats. finally i ask one of the state reps who was on site and he blamed it on the heat, said that the cores change when it gets over 100 degrees that was his magic number. our 1st game yesterday was 77 at the start and 86 at the finish and the balls still sounded like mush after the second inning. our lead off hitter got two good hits but those were on the her 1st at bats with a brand new ball each time.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Wanted to post a follow up to this. Played last weekend and was pleasantly surprised to see a return to the 400#/.47 ball. Did not get a real answer as to why but I know that it had a negative impact with regard to participation. I know of some teams that went to USSSA and never looked back.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
Wanted to post a follow up to this. Played last weekend and was pleasantly surprised to see a return to the 400#/.47 ball. Did not get a real answer as to why but I know that it had a negative impact with regard to participation. I know of some teams that went to USSSA and never looked back.

Had our 14U team play a NSA Virginia tournament this fall and the 400/.47 was being used again. I was also surprised to see this but also extremely happy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes