NSA Florida 275#/.52 COR Ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
NSA has gone to a 275#/.52 COR ball down here in Florida. Have no first hand experience but supposedly it is pretty dead and definitely a game changer. Anyone else played with it?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
So we played last weekend (18U) with the ball described and it certainly is a game changer. Kind of reminded me of the balls used by TCS at Rising Stars in South Florida. Had one of my girls get all of it only to have the ball caught at about 175ft. I moved my infield in a step or two and my outfield was playing at about 150-160ft most of the day. Only had one ball get past us to the fence. Many singles turned into weak line drives and deep pop ups. There was even a noticeable difference in the sound coming off the bat. Got to say that I am not a fan. I think 275#/.52 COR is a bit too drastic. Not sure if it benefits anyone other that the pitcher with respect to safety since the result is the infielders must play even closer to be effective.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
In 6 games I did not see a single ball go over the fence at 200', and other coaches seem to have the same experience. Not sure of the intent of the change but I have to think it is more about safety than keeping the ball in the park. Previously NSA used a 400#/.47COR so this was a pretty drastic change.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
This is a very interesting topic. I retrieved a foul ball during a game this weekend in a NSA tournament in VA. I thought it felt a bit squishy and I saw the .52COR I couldn't see any of the other info it was smeared. I had always thought we played with the 375/.47 ball. My DD hit a shot for a triple and another girl on the other team hit one that was a no doubt HR if we had a fence, but they were two of the hardest hit balls I've seen all season at 14U. I wonder how long ago the change was made as I don't check since we have to play with it regardless.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
For all the proponents of safety in the girls fastpitch game, this is a positive step. But I guarantee there will be a lot of anger that HRs are down.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mugs_dad