Noob question for coaches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 7, 2009
I'm not a coach, so I can't answer from that perspective, but as a parent, there is something you may want to think about. My oldest daughter's team practices are very demanding. They are all exhausted after practice. They learn a ton about playing hard, working through fatigue to make plays, etc. I would think it would be very difficult for a girl to endure a season of those practices without the knowledge that they will be on the field regularly as a reward for their hard work. Without the games, I think my daughter would burnout and not want to go rather quickly.

Sep 12, 2013
lstorie, I did think about that as well. I was kind of in the mindset that if she was going to be on a 15 person roster where the coach described her as being "on the cusp", the odds of her playing would probably be about the same as just practicing without being committed to play games. :)

I kinda chuckled when you mentioned the exhausting practices. My DD said after the travel team finished practicing that they had done more in the first 30 minutes of the 2 hour practice than her school team does at their practices (which are only 45mins/5 days a week) all week long. Sad but true. So yeah, I'm thinking it would kick her booty and I can see how it could get discouraging not to play a game after the work. However, without the work she won't play anywhere so it's almost a catch 22.

Who knows, I could be selling her short and overselling her prospective teammates...wouldn't be the first time I was too hard on her. I guess we shall see what Saturday brings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1