No coaching allowed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 4, 2013
Orange County, CA
josh's story resonated, as it was very similar to a play from Sunday: 9yo catcher new to dropped 3rd strike, bases juiced, no outs. She drops the 3rd strike, blue calls the batter out loudly enough for me to hear it, and I see her grab and get ready to throw to 1st. I'm telling her to "eat it" while both parents (and possibly other unrelated parents) are yelling at her to throw it. She threw it, 2 runs scored. I could tell that she couldn't even hear me over the screaming parents, and I assume she wasn't paying attention to the ump but instead to her folks.

Practice will be interesting this week.

Too funny, catchers get it bad. DD is a catcher and one of my proudest moments was when she held on to the ball despite the crazy insane screaming, and after the play with ball in hand she points to the 3rd base runner and shut everyone up. Lol

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
At the younger age groups, the parents need to be very careful about coaching their kids during the game. It's like nails on a chalk board to me hearing a parent telling Susie to scoot up or back in the box.

By high school, if you have a kid running because their parents told them to from the stands, you have a lost cause. The idea of having a parent removed from a game for yelling "run", is laughable to me.

For me, I try to sit a far away from everyone as possible when my DD is playing. We don't talk during the game. I cheer and cheer only. Not only for my DD, but for the whole team.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I was asked to come into the booth during one of my daughters college games. My wife burst out in laughter. I respectfully declined explaining that although very quiet some of my spontaneous comments regarding her performance are not exactly suitable for broadcast. :)

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
I was asked to come into the booth during one of my daughters college games. My wife burst out in laughter. I respectfully declined explaining that although very quiet some of my spontaneous comments regarding her performance are not exactly suitable for broadcast. :)

HAHA!!! I can't sit next to my wife, much less within 50 yards of a recording device.

Apr 22, 2013
I'm new: (so far stealing from other established coaches)
In my parent packet sent to everyone for signature:
Parents are only allowed to say positive things.
Parents are not allowed in the dugout unless delivering water or invited.
There is a Parent Helper that will be the representative
Do not distract the CF and SS from their duties of game mgmt

Any off field question is redirected to my Parent Helper.
IF there is a game issue: refer to my Parent Packet: I request 24 hours due to adrenaline.

Jun 11, 2013
We played a game today in 14U, 3 coaches were gone so I was asked to coach. DD was catching I was calling the pitches. Runner on 3rd 2 outs I call a changeup with 2 strikes and the batter waits just enough to hit a grounder to 3rd which the girl made a bad throw runner on 3rd now and she scores on a single next pitch. DD comes up to me after the inning saying why did you call a changeup when the kid couldn't hit the outside fastball. I told her she could call the rest of the game which we shut them out the rest of the way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi