No advantage to leaping

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 18, 2014
The point is that this rule makes no sense in 2015. The NCAA and the ASA should scrap it.

If enough can't slap while keeping both feet in the box then allow one foot out for 2017 even though it made sense when they established it in yr ????. I don't mean it smart*** as that sounds I'm just not a fan of rule changes to accommodate some that can't play / learn / dislike a rule(s) that so many before them played by with great success.

I'm thinking obstruction and interference are outdated, at least for my team, y'all leapers should still follow it.

Jun 1, 2013
The point is that this rule makes no sense in 2015. The NCAA and the ASA should scrap it.

I agree. In 2015 we are so high tech, a lot of rules make no sense and we should scrap them. Like touching the base, with all the radars and lasers out there we can tell when the run 60' without having to touch a base. Besides studies have shown that by not touching base you may be a split second faster to the next 60' mark. Field umps should be replaced by instant replay, dropped third strikes should always be an out. The pitcher worked so hard for it and it makes no sense to give a girl a second chance at getting on first. Lead the way Sluggers, the softball revolution has begun!!!

Dec 7, 2011

"Scrap it and start over" because 20 of us in this DFP community will have 20 different interpretations of an IP with the current rules (same with umps)...

My only rule would be:

"The push foot, after pushing off the rubber, but before the ball is released, CANNOT make "planted" contact again until the ball is released from the hand". (where "planted" means the shoe is touching dirt and there is no sliding going on between the two - signifying a base for a new "push"). I am not an extra special human being. I am just a dad of a pitcher who watches pitching mechanics. As I have said before I can pick out a "skippy" from a field away. I think a softball "reset" can be achieved in respect to IP's.

Oct 19, 2009
The next innovation we may see is flaps attached to the heel on slappers they can be a foot out of the box and closer to first when they make contact and still be legal.:D

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Like knight said... when I first started coaching... it meant something to me, as it was/is a part of the game, and the game should be honored. I still have this opinion, however...

I realized that it wasn't the act of leaping that bothered me, it was the reactions from the spectators. They would pace up and down the sidelines yippin' and bi+ch3n about how their DD's team would magically be winning if the pitcher would pitch legally. Truth is... they needed something to whine about... a scapegoat. They wanted to have the other teams ace removed, so that they had a better chance to win... how messed up is that? If you don't understand... no offense, but I would guess that you're one of these people... ;)

The real kicker... all the negativity they raised over the subject negatively impacted their players. Rather than focus on the game... the players started feeding off the negativity... which led to them becoming monday morning umpire's... complaining about poorly called pitches, outs at first, etc... This is no joke - I actually watched a girl kick dirt up on an umpires feet...

As the player matures... you'd think that the parent does... but that's not often the case. Kills me...

Anyway, back to the original point. It IS part of the game. Having the rule creates an expectation/definition of what the pitching motion is.

I would venture out to say that NO pitchers reach the next level of this game (beyond HS) without a firm understanding of the existence of the rule. Granted, that does not mean that they always uphold it (like FSU's Nori last year)... but they consciously know it... which creates a conscious effort to perform it... whether successful or not.

Lastly... I think it would benefit many to understand the following:

RULE 10 - UMPIRES

Section 3. UMPIRE’S JUDGMENT.

A. There will be no appeal on any decision involving accuracy of judgment. No
decision rendered by any umpire will be reversed except when the umpire is
convinced it is in violation of one of these rules. In case the manager, acting
manager or captain of either team does seek reversal of a decision based
solely on a point of rules, the umpire whose decision is in question will, if in
doubt, confer with the other umpire(s) before taking any action; but under
no circumstances will any player or person, other than the manager, acting
manager or captain of either team, have any right to protest any decision
and seek its reversal on a claim that it is in conflict with these rules.​

AND....

RULE 9 - PROTESTS

Section 1. Protests will not be considered if based solely on a decision involving the
accuracy of judgment on the part of an umpire.

A. Examples of protests which will not be considered are:​

1. Whether a batted ball was fair or foul.
2. Whether a runner was safe or out.
3. Whether a pitched ball was a ball or a strike.
4. Whether there is a legal or illegal pitch.
5. Whether a runner did or did not touch a base.
6. Whether a runner did or did not leave a base too soon on a caught fly
ball.
7. Whether a fly ball was or was not caught legally.
8. Whether a batted ball was or was not an infield fly.
9. Whether there was or was not interference or obstruction.
10. Whether the field is or is not fit to continue or resume play.
11. Whether there is or is not sufficient light to continue play.
12. Whether a player or live ball did or did not leave the live ball territory or
touch some object or person in a dead ball area.
13. Whether a batted ball did or did not clear the fence in flight.
14. Whether a batted ball was or was not touched by a fielder before clearing
the fence in flight.​

B. Any other matter involving only the accuracy of the umpire’s judgment.​

Control what is in your ability to control. The rest of it... is out of your control. Accept it... and PLAY BALL! ;)

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
They would pace up and down the sidelines yippin' and bi+ch3n about how their DD's team would magically be winning if the pitcher would pitch legally. Truth is... they needed something to whine about... a scapegoat

I completely agree.

Jun 1, 2013
I completely agree.

Java I respect your opinion but disagree. Why shouldn't people (players, fans, coaches) expect everyone to play by the rules? Leave the advantage^disadvantage portion out and then all you have is a player breaking the rules and some wanting it enforced and some wanting it repealed. If someone is clearly breaking the rules then why should those that are pointing it be frowned upon? Everyone will have their own agenda as to why they want it called and regardless of that, it is still a player breaking a rule. To me it makes no difference really, if a girl can bring it faster by pitching illegally I think it is better for my girls to see faster pitching. However, if my pitcher says that the other girl is pitching illegal and is looking for me to uphold the standards of the game, I am not going to let her down. (Yes, this has happened, the ump did call it, and everything was right in my pitchers softball world) I won't make a big show of it but I will raise it the the ump. At that point there should be strict adherence to the rules. No discretion, no complaining from either side after ump determines if it is legal or not. To me the people that really are the whiners are the ones that entered the game and decided they were not going to follow all the rules and try to get by with their mechanics, THEN complain about the people that object to them breaking the rules!! Regardless of the reasons if it is a rule it should be called.

Mar 26, 2013
I won't make a big show of it but I will raise it the the ump. At that point there should be strict adherence to the rules. No discretion, no complaining from either side after ump determines if it is legal or not.
I agree with your approach. You do what you can without letting it become a distraction for your team, because that hurts you more than the pitcher being allowed to pitch illegally.

To me the people that really are the whiners are the ones that entered the game and decided they were not going to follow all the rules and try to get by with their mechanics, THEN complain about the people that object to them breaking the rules!! Regardless of the reasons if it is a rule it should be called.
Yeah, I hate the "let'em play" protests from the pitcher's side when an umpire does call repeated IPs. I have no sympathy for an experienced pitcher that can't make the necessary adjustment once it's being called.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
Anyone who knows anything about vectors will tell you that leaping will decrease your speed, not increase it. You waste energy by lifting your body in the air, rather than propelling it towards the target.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06