NFHS rules For the number of high school players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
I have a question concerning the number of high school players on a travel team and when they can and cannot play.

Does this rule come from the NFHS and if so does someone have the exact language?

A local HS coach quoted me the following,

"Only 5 players from the same HS can play on the same travel team when school is in session (fall/winter and spring while school is still going). This pertains to any incoming freshman and current players."

Is this the exact language? So you can't play in a fall league? You can't play in late May if the team is knocked out of the HS tournament? Freshman can't play in the fall even if they haven't made the team (doesn't start until January).

So many questions...

Thanks,

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
You can't play in late May if the team is knocked out of the HS tournament?

Once the team is eliminated in the playoffs, the official season is done. You can play.

Freshman can't play in the fall even if they haven't made the team (doesn't start until January).

It would depend on when your HS does tryouts, and when your HS team roster is sent to the state governing body.

Example, one HS here does tryouts in January. So a freshman would not be listed on the official state roster until after tryouts. She would be eligible to play in the fall. ( she wouldn't count as the 6th player if you had 5 already from the HS 10th-12th )

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I have a question concerning the number of high school players on a travel team and when they can and cannot play.

Does this rule come from the NFHS and if so does someone have the exact language?

A local HS coach quoted me the following,

"Only 5 players from the same HS can play on the same travel team when school is in session (fall/winter and spring while school is still going). This pertains to any incoming freshman and current players."

Is this the exact language? So you can't play in a fall league? You can't play in late May if the team is knocked out of the HS tournament? Freshman can't play in the fall even if they haven't made the team (doesn't start until January).

So many questions...

Thanks,

Speaking ASA, the real ASA Code, not local association rules, there is no correlation between the two, you can register an entire HS team ASA if you like.

What your local HS association does or local ASA association does may be completely different.

Apr 13, 2013
I would send the AD an Email.

I could not find the rule or consequence for violating it but 5 players on the same Team comes to my mind. It does not apply to MS players so I do not know the rule, I do not think it takes effect until they start HS so I do not know how it can be enforced for incoming freshmen. I do think it applies weather school is in session or not.

You have me asking questions now, I wish I could find the rule too.

Edit: This is just a plain mean post, I know I read this rule last year. I am adding you to my ignore list.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
50% Rule – Applies to basketball, baseball, and softball. Participation (includes practice or games) during the school year on a non-school team prior to the school season by students that will play the following season on the high school team is limited to 50% of the number of players required to play the game (3 in basketball, 5 in baseball, 5 in girls softball). Only the specified number of students participating on a non-school team prior to the school season may be placed on the high school eligibility list the following season. Those students cannot be interchanged on the school’s team roster.

May 17, 2012
Thanks for the replies. Using that info I was able to track down the part of the rule for Indiana:

15-2 During School Year Out-of-Season
15-2.2 Team Sports (Baseball, Basketball, Football, Soccer, Softball and Volleyball)

a. Students may participate in team sport practice and contests as members of a non-school team provided no more than the following number of students, (i) who have participated in a contest the previous season as a member of one of their school teams in that sport or (ii) who are incoming freshman (and seek to participate on a non-school team from Monday of Week 5 (August 4th) until the date of the first authorized practice in that sport), are rostered on the same non-school team, at the same time.

Seniors, who have exhausted their eligibility in a particular sport, do not count in the maximum number of students that can participate on a non-school team in that sport.

Baseball – 5 Football – 6 Softball – 5
Basketball – 3 Soccer – 6 Volleyball – 3

Last edited:
May 17, 2012
Agreed I should have clarified. That particular rule is only for highschools in Indiana that fall under the IHSAA. As far as I can tell it has nothing to do with the NFHS.

Your millage may vary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdowowihcw